[comp.dcom.modems] RS423 specs

braun@dri.com (Karl T. Braun (kral)) (05/29/91)

Does anyone have a machine readable copy of the RS423 standard that I can grab.
I'm not looking for anything as in depth as the real EIA spec, but a
description of pinouts, etc.

Thanx,

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
"Talking trash, touching on truth"	-- Micheal Hedges

bud@kentrox.uucp (Bud Couch) (05/30/91)

In article <Y6L31ND@dri.com> braun@dri.com (Karl T. Braun (kral)) writes:
>Does anyone have a machine readable copy of the RS423 standard that I can grab.
>I'm not looking for anything as in depth as the real EIA spec, but a
>description of pinouts, etc.

EIA 423 (no longer RS) is only an electrical specification, and does NOT specify
"pinouts, etc." It simply states what voltages (+2v< ON >+6V) are output for
"ON" or "SPACE", what voltages (-2v> OFF < -6V) are output for "OFF" or "MARK",
and what voltages should be detected ( more than |200 mV|) for each state. It
also specifies rise times and such. Other specification such as EIA 449 or
EIA 530 specify the definitions of the interchange circuits and their pinouts.

  Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox    | And diff'ring judments serve but to declare   |
 If my employer only knew... |That truth lies somewhere, if we knew but where|
   standard BS applies	     |                   -William Cowper             |