[comp.dcom.modems] SupraModem 2400Plus

kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu (Michael Kahn) (07/19/90)

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the SupraModem 2400
Plus by Supra Corp.  Supposedly, for <$200, we can have a modem that
supports  V.22bis and MNP5.  I'm suspicious of the price and wonder
what they've left off to make it $200 cheaper than most V.22bis/MNP5
modems.

Anyone have the phone number and/or address of Supra Corporation, the
manufacters of this "too-good-to-be-true-for-the-price" modem?

Thanks for any info,
Michael Kahn
(kahn@wucs1.WUSTL.EDU or kahn@sumex-aim.STANFORD.EDU)

WW8ZOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (William Walborn) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.223438.6823@cec1.wustl.edu>, kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu
(Michael Kahn) says:

>Anyone have the phone number and/or address of Supra Corporation, the
>manufacters of this "too-good-to-be-true-for-the-price" modem?

                         Supra Corporation
                         1133 Commercial Way
                         Albany, OR  97321

                          (503) 967-9075  Orders
                          (503) 967-9081  Technical Support
                 Call between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. PST

 * William Joseph Walborn   | Multitasks | Consultant/Technical Assistant   *
 * 201 East Chestnut St.    |  Graphics  | Academic Computer Service        *
 * Ashley Commons, Apt 108  +   Stereo   + Miami University, 22 Hughes Hall *
 * Oxford, Ohio  45056      |     |      | Oxford, Ohio  45056              *
 * (513) 523-9382            +    V     +  (513) 529-6226                   *
 * Bitnet:   WW8ZOPER@MIAMIU  = AMIGA =      IBM 4381-23, VM/SP, Rel 6 CMS  *

lucy@MoFH.UUCP (Gary J. Hamilton) (07/20/90)

kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu (Michael Kahn) writes:

> Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the SupraModem 2400
> Plus by Supra Corp.  Supposedly, for <$200, we can have a modem that
> supports  V.22bis and MNP5.  I'm suspicious of the price and wonder
> what they've left off to make it $200 cheaper than most V.22bis/MNP5
> modems.

We use these modems extensively at GE Canada, and they are very reliable.
The only thing that I dislike about them is the lack of support for the S11
parameter, which is the length of tone. I'm used to the HST which runs fine
at a setting of 44. The Supra is 255 which is far longer than necessary. In
fact one of the new ones (The one I'm on right now) DID take a setup string
invoked with the S11=50 string, and DID dial it. (Shocking)
They might have updated the hardware.

    supra Corporation
    1133 Commercial Way
    Albany Oregon
    97321
                    (503) 967 9075  -Orders
                    (503) 967 9081  - Tech Support

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (07/20/90)

[woof!]

(Michael Kahn) writes:
|Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the SupraModem 2400
|Plus by Supra Corp.  Supposedly, for <$200, we can have a modem that
|supports  V.22bis and MNP5.

     The 2400 Plus isn't out yet.  Supra claims that their modem chip
supplier is having problems getting the chips to work.  I was told it'd
probably be September before the modem starts shipping.

|Anyone have the phone number and/or address of Supra Corporation, the
|manufacters of this "too-good-to-be-true-for-the-price" modem?

            Supra Corporation
	    1133 Commercial Way,
	    Albany, Oregon   97321
	    Orders:  (503) 967-9075
	    Tech Support:  (503) 967-9081

                                    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM
"Less talk!  More synthahol!"

cotizelati@sissa.cineca.it (05/28/91)

I have a problem with a 2400 SupraModem Plus. I cannot connect in autorelaible
mode to a 2400 MNP4 modem. The two modems give the connect 2400/REL, but then
I cannot send any message to the other modem, while I receive all right.
If I work in normal mode everything is fine. Any idea of what is wrong?
I did succed in connecting to a MNP5 modem.

Thanks a lot

Vittorio Coti Zelati

cotizelati@sissa.cineca.it

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (05/29/91)

Supra technical support 503-967-9081 9am - 4pm pst Monday thru Friday.

                               Vernon

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (Wolfgang R. Schulz) (05/30/91)

cotizelati@sissa.cineca.it writes:

>I have a problem with a 2400 SupraModem Plus. I cannot connect in autorelaible
>mode to a 2400 MNP4 modem. The two modems give the connect 2400/REL, but then

As MNP5 has just compression added to MNP4 and otherwise is identical
you might try the AT%C0 command, which disables data compression
during a reliable connection. AT%C1 would enable it.
Wolfgang
--
***Wolfgang R. Schulz, Theodor-Koerner-Weg 5, 2000 Hamburg 61, Germany***
***phone: +49 40 5521878*****BTX: 0405521878*****MCI Mail: 241-2526******