[comp.dcom.modems] Can't dial out of xchange with Danish T2500

brb@falcon.is (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) (05/28/91)

I have 2 Telebit T2500 modems which I'm evaluating.  These
are the Danish version of the T2500.  The modems come with
a manual addendum that describes how the Nordic models
differ from the standard T2500.  The Danish, Norwegian
and Swedish versions ALWAYS wait for a dialtone before
dialing.  Apparently this means that absolutely no dialing
takes place EVER until a dialtone is present and indeed
I have been unable to dial out our telephone exchange.
Considering the usual configuration of exchanges here,
these "features" make the Nordic T2500's unattractive
to say the least.

So here's my question:  Is there anything I can do to
remedy the situation?  Change a jumper? Get new roms?

Thanks,

	Bjorn R. Bjornsson
	brb@falcon.is

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (06/01/91)

In article <898@falcon.is> brb@falcon.is (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) writes:
>I have 2 Telebit T2500 modems which I'm evaluating.  These
>are the Danish version of the T2500.  The modems come with
>a manual addendum that describes how the Nordic models
>differ from the standard T2500.  The Danish, Norwegian
>and Swedish versions ALWAYS wait for a dialtone before
>dialing.  Apparently this means that absolutely no dialing
>takes place EVER until a dialtone is present and indeed
>I have been unable to dial out our telephone exchange.
>Considering the usual configuration of exchanges here,
>these "features" make the Nordic T2500's unattractive
>to say the least.
>
>So here's my question:  Is there anything I can do to
>remedy the situation?  Change a jumper? Get new roms?

I'm afraid not.  The Danish authorities set the dialtone requirements
and the modem must meet those requirements to gain approval.  If the modem
doesn't hear a dial tone, it's not supposed to dial.

Perhaps you could talk with the distributor who supplied the modems to you,
or to the Telebit office in Luxembourg to see if there's any way to let the
modem recognize the dial tone your exchange uses.

--
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |