[net.unix-wizards] Domain Serving

michael%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.arpa (Michael Lichter) (11/17/85)

	I am one of the system manglers of a VAX 11/780 running 4.2BSD
	that is our local gateway to the ARPANET.  We have supposedly
	been running this host as a domain server for some time now,
	but I am not convinced that the software for this even exists.
	Can somebody tell me who, what, and/or where?  Please reply to
	me.  Thanx.

	Michael Lichter			  	  michael@cit-vax.ARPA

ezf@bbncc5.arpa (Ed Frankenberry) (11/18/85)

Berkeley's BIND code is still undergoing development and is available
from Kevin Dunlap <dunlap@monet.berkeley.edu>.  The server is usually
installed as /etc/named and the resolver library as /usr/lib/libresolv.a.
Check /etc/rc.local for a line which invokes the named server.  In order
to keep current, you'll probably want to join the "bind" mailing list.
Send a message to "bind-request@monet.berkeley.edu" or to Kevin.
	good luck,
	Ed Frankenberry
p.s. - I get no response to domain queries to cit-vax via udp.

philip@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (& Chang) (11/20/85)

In article <3329@brl-tgr.ARPA> ezf@bbncc5.arpa (Ed Frankenberry) writes:
>Berkeley's BIND code is still undergoing development and is available
>from Kevin Dunlap <dunlap@monet.berkeley.edu>.  The server is usually
>Send a message to "bind-request@monet.berkeley.edu" or to Kevin.
>	good luck,
>	Ed Frankenberry