[comp.dcom.modems] Racal-xx

bud@kentrox.uucp (Bud Couch) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.063614.22592@netcom.COM> gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:
>In article <59896@aurs01.UUCP> roberson@aurs01.uucp (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:
>>Who is Racal-Milgo?  I've heard of Racal-Vadic (sp?) but not -Milgo.
>>If these guys still exist, are they known for their service or can
>>I just skip them and go to Telebit (who is somebody I know better)?
>>

>Milgo is another division of Racal.  I believe Vadic made lower speed
>modems and Milgo made higher speed ones - at least for a while.  (one
>reason they OEM'ed the TB from Telebit)  Modems aren't the only products
>Milgo makes, but I don't know too much about them.

Racal is a British datacom company. Milgo was a US datacom company. Vadic
was also a US datacom company. Racal bought each one separately and added
their name to the front of the previous company. They used to be run as
entirely separate organizations, but there have been a lot of re-organization
since I last paid any real attention, so I am not sure about today.

Racal-Milgo sells primarily to the inducstrial market. They have a good
sales and service setup, but it is not geared toward individuals. For this
reason, and not because I think that there is anything bad about the
company, I would recommend going to the OEM (Telebit). The only exemption
to this would be if you were trying to get warranty service.

I do not work for Racal-Milgo, although my company does produce some
equipment for them under an OEM arrangement.

--
  Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox    | And diff'ring judments serve but to declare   |
 If my employer only knew... |That truth lies somewhere, if we knew but where|