[comp.dcom.modems] Modem advices needed

johning@ut-emx.uucp (Johning Su) (06/06/91)

I am considering to buy a modem with V.42bis and MNP5 and use it to
connect my PC(486/25) to main computers in my school with phone line. Is
it useful to buy a modem with 9600 baud in this case? Someone told me
it is not, because the phone line can only transfer information with
2400 baud. Is this true?
I know almost nothing about modem. So any advices, suggestions and
informations about models, price, and manufacturers are appreciated very
much.

Please send email or post here if you have to.

Thanks in advance.

---Johning@emx.utexas.edu

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/06/91)

In article <50058@ut-emx.uucp> johning@ut-emx.uucp (Johning Su) writes:
>I am considering to buy a modem with V.42bis and MNP5 and use it to
>connect my PC(486/25) to main computers in my school with phone line. Is
>it useful to buy a modem with 9600 baud in this case? Someone told me
>it is not, because the phone line can only transfer information with
>2400 baud. Is this true?

   No it is not true.  Most home phone lines will support V.32
   (basic 9600 rate, up to 38.4 with compression) and V.32bis
   (basic 14,400 rate, up to 38.4+ with compression) very
   nicely.   Your wallet is an entirely different matter... >:-)

   You can get very good V.32bis modems with V.42bis and MNP5
   for around 600-1100 bucks.  If you go this way make sure the
   modem ALSO supports the V.22bis 2400 rate in case you dial
   someone w/o the higher speed.

   You might also want to investigate the Trailblazer
   modems....they offer the 2400 rate, but if you are dialling
   Unix systems...most have the TB which can really boogie on
   file transfers...

   I would find out what kind of modems the FAR end of the
   connection has,,,,and try to match up as many of them as you
   need.  The TB is pretty common in Unix, the V.22bis is common
   in the PC world.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/06/91)

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) writes:

>   You might also want to investigate the Trailblazer
>   modems....they offer the 2400 rate, but if you are dialling
>   Unix systems...most have the TB which can really boogie on
>   file transfers...

v.32bis is much faster on file transfers than PEP - the only
thing PEP buys you is the ability to hold noisy lines --

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis