[comp.dcom.modems] PEP

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/06/91)

Okay, this is an easy one... How does PEP divide up the channels?  I know you
get 19200 in one direction, but what about with something like BiModem?  I've
heard two answers, one that it divides up the total bandwidth among the two
channels depending on how much data each has to send, and the other is that
it switches back and forth, sending data at 19200 one way and then the other.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.175840.7762@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>Okay, this is an easy one... How does PEP divide up the channels?  I know you
>get 19200 in one direction, but what about with something like BiModem?  I've
>heard two answers, one that it divides up the total bandwidth among the two
>channels depending on how much data each has to send, and the other is that
>it switches back and forth, sending data at 19200 one way and then the other.

The second one is true.  PEP is a true half-duplex modulation.  The modems
transmit in only one direction at a time.

With Bimodem (which I've used over PEP), both modems will have their buffers
filled with data to transfer, so they will both transmit an equal amount of
time.  Since they both can't transmit at the same time, they will alternate
back and forth.  The transfer speed in each direction will drop to half the
total speed (somewhere around 7000-8000 bits per second, over clean phone
lines).

--
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |