[comp.dcom.modems] Need callback program for BSD or SYSV

elmquist@nachos.SSESCO.com (Chris Elmquist) (06/05/91)

I'm looking for a program that can be invoked by a user after login
(ie, from his login script) that will cause the modem he called in
on to hangup and then call him back at the number he provided to
this program.  Security is not the main issue...  circumventing
metered phone service at home is...

Has anyone already invented such a piece of code for BSD or SYSV
systems (IBM RS/6000 to be exact)..??

Thanks.  Chris
--
Chris Elmquist, N0JCF
Internet: elmquist@SSESCO.com

scott@skypod.guild.org (Scott Campbell) (06/07/91)

In article <419@nachos.SSESCO.com> elmquist@nachos.SSESCO.com (Chris Elmquist) writes:
>I'm looking for a program that can be invoked by a user after login
>(ie, from his login script) that will cause the modem he called in
>on to hangup and then call him back at the number he provided to
>this program.  Security is not the main issue...  circumventing
>metered phone service at home is...
>
>Has anyone already invented such a piece of code for BSD or SYSV
>systems (IBM RS/6000 to be exact)..??

I don't know about IBM's system, but on System V there is a command called
"ct" that does that.  It will hang up the line and call you back and dump
a login: on your terminal.

(I used to use it to log someone in who had an answer-only modem)

scott
--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                   scott@skypod.guild.org
Skypod Communications Inc.            ..!gatech!dscatl!daysinns!skypod!scott