[comp.dcom.modems] qmodem and kermit?

659olarte@gw.wmich.edu (06/05/91)

I use Qmodem as my communications program. Is there any way I could add Kermit
to the list of protocols available?

thanx

degear@ondeck (Dave DeGear) (06/07/91)

659olarte@gw.wmich.edu writes:

> I use Qmodem as my communications program. Is there any way I could add Kermi
> to the list of protocols available?

  I sometimes have to use Kermit protocol when I transfer files to/from
our VAX.  Qmodem allows for External protocols so I setup the letter K
to stand for Kermit protocol.  Qmodem will ask you for the batch file to
run when you start Kermit.  You will need a KUP.BAT file and a KDOWN.BAT
file.  Each of these batch files just need the word KERMIT in them.  You
might want later to put variables in the batch file but they aren't
necessary.  I know this works for Qmodem 4.2 although I haven't tried it
with earlier versions.

  By the way, do you know that Zmodem is available for the VAX.  I use
it most of the time because it transfers at about 3 times the rate that
Kermit will do.
te that
Kermit will do.