[comp.dcom.modems] Racal-Vadic, anyone?

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (06/03/91)

Well, I am now the proud owner of one state-of-the-art "modem". :)

This beauty is sleek, and black, and no doubt capable of at least
300 baud transfer...

More importantly, it has a small alpha-numeric LCD screen and a
collection of membrane buttons with labels like "Local DLB".

Anyway, not to go on bragging about my new toy.... I would be
eternally grateful to any kind soul that could shed some light on this
thing's command set.

I have tried everything I can think of.. AT this AT that, random
words, random keys, morse code on the DTR line...  no response..

Here's the kicker.. I KNOW it works.  I saw this thing connect to
another modem when it was hooked up to a machine dedicated to ordering
car parts!  It even auto-dialed.  From the sound of the connection, I
am even temped to guess 1200 baud.

Oh.. the model number.. "Racal-Vadic Auto Dial VA212PA"   ("Auto
Dial".. hmm.. a clue.)

All my terminal software, of course, speaks the wrong language, but I
would love to hack together a configuration for this thing.   Besides,
the shape of it vaguely resembles an HST. :)

If you know of even just a few Racal-Vadic commands or a pointer to
them, or some way to make the modem spit them out, I would be most
appreciative.

If anyone needs one of these, you can have it for a good story; the
8-line modular connector on the back looks prohibitive. :)

-Steve, with his HST from yester-year.

Extra smileys, apply liberally where needed: :-) :) :-) ;)
--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/04/91)

In article <CG108DBD.91Jun3002149@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu> cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:
>Well, I am now the proud owner of one state-of-the-art "modem". :)
>
>Oh.. the model number.. "Racal-Vadic Auto Dial VA212PA"   ("Auto
>Dial".. hmm.. a clue.)

I post this since it might be something for the FAQ list :-)

The older Racal modems use ENQ to get the modem's attention.  That is,
type Control-E and hit RETURN.  You will see the modem respond "Hello.
I'm Ready" followed by a "*".

This is Racal's command prompt.  Type "?" or "P" to get a menu of the
possible commands.  On my Racal-Vadic VA212, they are:

*?
MENU:
C     CHANGE OR CLEAR MEMORY
D     DIAL NUMBER
H(C)  BACKSPACE
I     IDLE
K     PAUSE
L     LINK
M     MEMORY
O     OPTIONS
P,?   PRINT MENU
R     REDIAL
S     STORE PHONE NUMBER
T     TABLE OF OPTIONS
1-15  PHONE NUMBER ADDRESS

And away you go!

  Paul
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (06/07/91)

--=}>> On 4 Jun 91 13:27:47 GMT, pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) said:

PJ> In article <CG108DBD.91Jun3002149@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu> cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:
>Well, I am now the proud owner of one state-of-the-art "modem". :)
>
>Oh.. the model number.. "Racal-Vadic Auto Dial VA212PA"   ("Auto
>Dial".. hmm.. a clue.)

PJ> I post this since it might be something for the FAQ list :-)

PJ> The older Racal modems use ENQ to get the modem's attention.  That is,
PJ> type Control-E and hit RETURN.  You will see the modem respond "Hello.
PJ> I'm Ready" followed by a "*".

PJ> This is Racal's command prompt.  Type "?" or "P" to get a menu of the
PJ> possible commands.  On my Racal-Vadic VA212, they are:

PJ> *?
PJ> MENU:
[...]
PJ> | Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |

Yup!  Thanks very much to the many who responded!  I received a slew
of mail, and now feel more informed than some manual-bearing owners I
know.. :)

The other magic key sequence is ^C^D (after a pause) to disconnect.
(Thanks eplunix!ijs@harvard.harvard.edu)

Thanks again.

-Steve, with another new blinkenlite box!