[comp.dcom.modems] can a modem respond to CALL WAITING ??

hpchen@celestial.Eng.Sun.COM (Huei-Ping Chen) (06/02/91)

my friends have been complaining about my home phone very hard to get
through, since I have been dailing-up from home to my work station at work
a lot.

I know there is a phone service "CALL WAITING", while you are on the phone,
if someone is trying to get through, it will give you a beep tone.

my question is: is there a way while the modem is using the phone line,
the modem can detect the CALL-WATING signal, and warns you somebody is trying
to call you??

thanks in advance for any response.

mucit@slate.cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu) (06/02/91)

>   my question is: is there a way while the modem is using the phone line,
>   the modem can detect the CALL-WATING signal, and warns you somebody is trying
>   to call you??

Yeah, it shows up as garbage on your screen, you can then stop what you're
doing and yell at the poor person who was trying to call you :).  I was getting
pretty upset when Rochester Telephone turned it on on my line for free as a
trial offer.  I suggest getting another line if not missing phone calls
is more important to you than work and money.

-Mucit

PS: I've never really attempted to suspend the modem communication take the
call and then resume.  Has anyone tried this?

bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) (06/03/91)

In article <MUCIT.91Jun2121718@slate.cs.rochester.edu> mucit@slate.cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu) writes:
>>   my question is: is there a way while the modem is using the phone line,
>>   the modem can detect the CALL-WATING signal, and warns you somebody is trying
>>   to call you??
>

>Yeah, it shows up as garbage on your screen, you can then stop what you're
>doing and yell at the poor person who was trying to call you :).  I was getting
>pretty upset when Rochester Telephone turned it on on my line for free as a
>trial offer.  I suggest getting another line if not missing phone calls
>is more important to you than work and money.

	I have call waiting and use my modem day and night....I turn the
	feature OFF when I dont want to be interrupted and leave it alone
	when I need to have the calls come through.  Here in Utah, the
	option to diable the feature is *70.  Hope this helps.

	-Bob-

	bangell@peruvian.utah.edu;  bangell@cc.utah.edu;  angellrl@cc.utah.edu
	 -  Opinions are Mine, Not that of the University of Utah  -

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (06/03/91)

In article <14380@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> hpchen@celestial.Eng.Sun.COM
(Huei-Ping Chen) writes:

>my friends have been complaining about my home phone very hard to get
>through, since I have been dailing-up from home to my work station at work
>a lot.

>I know there is a phone service "CALL WAITING", while you are on the phone,
>if someone is trying to get through, it will give you a beep tone.

>my question is: is there a way while the modem is using the phone line,
>the modem can detect the CALL-WATING signal, and warns you somebody is trying
>to call you??

Sure there is.  The modem garbages your screen just before losing carrier
and hanging up ... then your phone rings and the new caller is on the
line.  :)   I know that is not the answer you wanted!

You cannot put a modem call 'on hold' to take a call-waiting on the same
line. A human ear knows what it is listening to; all the modem knows is it
does not hear carrier from the other end any longer (while on hold).

If your modem has a register you can set to say how long the modem should
wait with loss of carrier before hanging up, you can set this to a very
high value, and instead of sending garbage to your screen *and*
disconnecting when it hears a call waiting tone, it will merely send the
garbage and you have to take this as a hint to either gracefully save your
work and log out (then take the new call) or ignore the call-waiting and
continue to get a couple more rounds of garbage before the caller hangs
up.

Call waiting and modems make a very bad pair. NEVER get call waiting on a
line you ordinarily use for modems.  Better to get two physical lines from
the phone company instead for only a little more money.

PAT
--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu / US Mail: 60690-1570

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (06/03/91)

In article <MUCIT.91Jun2121718@slate.cs.rochester.edu>
  mucit@slate.cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu) writes:

> PS: I've never really attempted to suspend the modem communication take the
> call and then resume.  Has anyone tried this?

I haven't done it myself, but some people around here apparently
do it.  You have to set your loss of carrier timeout (S10 on modems
that use you-know-who's command set) to, say, 20-30 seconds.  Then
you can disconnect the modem, pick up the phone, the the person to
get lost (:-)) and then hang up the phone and reconnect the modem.
Make sure you set the timeout on both ends, though, not just one.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            |
curt@cynic.uucp         | ``Unix is one big `in' joke.''

tgkreimer@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu (Tom Kreimer) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun02.205244.24464@chinet.chi.il.us>, patrick@chinet.chi.il.us
(Patrick A. Townson) writes:

> In article <14380@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> hpchen@celestial.Eng.Sun.COM
> (Huei-Ping Chen) writes:

> Call waiting and modems make a very bad pair. NEVER get call waiting on a
> line you ordinarily use for modems.  Better to get two physical lines from
> the phone company instead for only a little more money.

I know this is getting off the subject, but in some (all?) areas with call
waiting, you can disable the service for the current call, usually by dialing
the # key and a nubmer. This way, your modem won't be interupted during the
current (outgoing) call, and then call waiting will return for the next call.
Check the front of your phone book. There is all kinds of interesting info
there :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Kreimer --- Miami University ---  Oxford, Ohio
tgkreimer@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu --- tgkreimer@miavx2.bitnet

< > Standard disclaimer  < > No flames  < > Reply/w E-mail  <x> Have a nice day!

jimv@hienergy.East.Sun.COM (Jim Vienneau - Sun Microsystems) (06/04/91)

>I know this is getting off the subject, but in some (all?) areas with call
>waiting, you can disable the service for the current call, usually by dialing

Some maybe, but not all. Call waiting was not disableable on my phone system
(fairly early ESS system). I had to cancel the service to keep it from
dumping my downloads.

Jim Vienneau, Sun Microsystems Inc - Billerica, MA
Email: jvienneau@east.sun.com   Amateur Radio: WB1B
Good old Ma Bell (well old anyway): (508)671-0372

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun02.205244.24464@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>In article <14380@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> hpchen@celestial.Eng.Sun.COM
>(Huei-Ping Chen) writes:
>
>>my friends have been complaining about my home phone very hard to get
>>through, since I have been dailing-up from home to my work station at work
>>a lot.
>>I know there is a phone service "CALL WAITING", while you are on the phone,
>>if someone is trying to get through, it will give you a beep tone.
>
>Call waiting and modems make a very bad pair. NEVER get call waiting on a
>line you ordinarily use for modems.  Better to get two physical lines from
>the phone company instead for only a little more money.

Sure, but if you can't afford a second phone line, you can usually disable
call waiting on a one-time basis for a call by prefixing whatever you were
going to dial with *70 .  Anyone calling will then get a busy.  Call waiting
is re-enabled automatically at hangup.  This works in most electronic exchanges
offering call waiting.  Try it.

I know of no way to disable call waiting on incoming calls. (anyone?)

--
Ken Stamm (uunet.uu.net!slcpi!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868

berk@techsys.UUCP (techsys consulting) (06/07/91)

Yes, Jim, a modem CAN handle c/w.... if you set your carrier loss
hangup reg. right.  But the other modem also has to be able to cope.
Biggest problem, is getting the comm programs to 1) not disconnect,
and 2) be able to restart/resend lost packs

Berk    ...usc!celia!techsys!berk

louk@tslwat.UUCP (Lou Kates) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun02.205244.24464@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>Call waiting and modems make a very bad pair. NEVER get call waiting on a
>line you ordinarily use for modems.  Better to get two physical lines from
>the phone company instead for only a little more money.

I have call  waiting and  a modem on  the same line and I find it
quite convenient.  When  a call comes   in I  get garbage on  the
screen so   I know to turn off the modem and pick up the phone. I
normally am using vi which  can recover its session so when I get
back on I just  recover  it and  continue. Also note that if  you
don't want this behaviour then you can  disable  the call waiting
by dialing *70 prior to dialing the outgoing   call.  I generally
prefer to  be able to continue to get my calls so I don't disable
it.

Lou Kates, Teleride Sage Ltd., louk%tslwat@watmath.waterloo.edu
519-725-0646

tnixon@hayes.uucp (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun5.213912.777@slhisc.uucp>, ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:

> I know of no way to disable call waiting on incoming calls. (anyone?)

Sure.  Use this command string to answer the call:

	ATX1D!,*70,;A

Most phone systems that allow *70 to cancel call waiting also allow
you to cancel it on the current call by hook-flashing and dialing
*70.  You're then placed back in the call (some require you to
hook-flash again to get back, in which case you'd add "!," before
the semicolon.  SOME phone systems require you to also subscribe to
Three-Way Calling before this function will work.  This, of course,
doesn't work with Auto Answer (S0>0), only with software-controlled
answer.  You may want to set S8=1 so the commas only last 1 second
instead of 2 seconds.  If you do this, then this whole process lasts
only about four seconds, less than one ring cycle.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404