[comp.dcom.modems] PROCOMM PLUS and ZMODEM

hoskins@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (05/29/91)

Hello,

I have a question about PROCOMM PLUS and ZMODEM. I'm not very familiar with
either, and as a result I am having problems understanding exactly how PROCOMM
uses the ZMODEM protocol. We are developping an application that uses ZMODEM for
one way file transfers and also some custom command (non DOS) sequences, that
come from the sender of the files. ZMODEM of course allows you to send commands,
but PROCOMM PLUS does not seem to let the user send any commands, just files.
Am I missing something? Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Steve Hoskins
Allen Bradley Corporation
Motion Control Divisions
Highland Heights, Ohio

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/30/91)

 >From: hoskins@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

 >ZMODEM of course allows you to send commands,

   What kind of commands?

   ZMODEM is a *file* transfer protocol.  Commands are sent via normal
terminal mode typing before ZMODEM itself is invoked.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/01/91)

In article <125.2845CA77@zswamp.uucp> root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
-
- >From: hoskins@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
-
- >ZMODEM of course allows you to send commands,
-
-   What kind of commands?
-
-   ZMODEM is a *file* transfer protocol.  Commands are sent via normal
-terminal mode typing before ZMODEM itself is invoked.

And you must believe what you read in PC Magazine software reviews.

ZMODEM includes "Command Download" with optional security verification.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/08/91)

Speaking of Procomm Plus 2.0 and ZMODEM....

Procomm Plus is a nice little terminal emulation program. However, after
using it for a few weeks now, it seems to have a brain-dead implementation
of ZMODEM. Using a pair of T2500 modems in PEP mode, I only get about 700
to 800 cps when I'm lucky. Most of the time, the file transfer simply fails
for large files (say over 50K).

Telix, on the other hand, seems to have ZMODEM implemented correctly. File
transfer occur at a good clip and I have yet to see it fail (unless the
machine on the other end actually crashes :-).

Speaking of crashes... I've also noticed that Procomm Plus 2.0 causes my
QEMM-386 v5.12 on my DOS box to crash every now and then.
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun08.013208.3339@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Speaking of Procomm Plus 2.0 and ZMODEM....
>
>Procomm Plus is a nice little terminal emulation program. However, after
>using it for a few weeks now, it seems to have a brain-dead implementation
>of ZMODEM. Using a pair of T2500 modems in PEP mode, I only get about 700
>[...lots of horrible bugs described...]

I have been told that due to the huge numbers of bugs in Procomm+ 2.0 that
version 2.1 is already shipping and you can upgrade to it.
--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold