[net.unix-wizards] True and false

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/15/85)

Anyone at AT&T care to explain why "true" is up to version 1.4 and
"false" is at version 1.3?  Did 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 ( for "true" )
have bugs, and if so, what were they?

In article <28500049@ISM780B.UUCP>, tim@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
>Anyone at AT&T care to explain why "true" is up to version 1.4 and
>"false" is at version 1.3?  Did 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 ( for "true" )
>have bugs, and if so, what were they?

Me, too.  I wanna know!!!!!

Maybe the version numbers are when the scripts where FIRST implemented?
I can't see a "true" or a "false" breaking.  For that matter, why not
implement "true" and "false" as executables? Ya know,

/* true.c */
main(argc,argv)
int argc;
char **argv;	/* Is this necessary? (To include argv if only argc wanted) */
{
	if (argc > 1) write(2,"Usage: true\n",12);
	return 0;
}

/* false.c */
main(argc,argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
	if (argc > 1) write(2,"Usage: false\n",13);
	return 255;
}

It would be faster :-).
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (11/20/85)

They may have them under RCS or SCCS or some other system where version
number for a whole bunch of software can be updated simultaneously.

Sean Casey                             UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
915 Patterson Office Tower                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
University of Kentucky                 ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027            BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

aegl@root44.UUCP (Tony Luck) (11/21/85)

I only have version 1.3 of /bin/true ... but I can't see any bugs in it.
Altogether it is 747 bytes long - most of this is the "THIS IS UNPUBLISHED
PROPRIETRY SOURCE CODE OF AT&T ..." heading - followed by the version
number followed by the actual code to do nothing (successfully) - which
is of course nothing as the shell will just "exit(0)" when it reaches
end of file. On Version 6 true just used to be an empty file - presumably
this was the base version. - Then someone must have added a version number
(probably 1.1 - but maybe 1.2) then the copyright notice must have been
added (up to 1.3) - perhaps there is a a typo in this notice - or perhaps
the Lawyers decided that a mere 747 bytes wasn't enough of a warning to
potential software pirates and have added dire threats and warnings of
what will happen to anyone who would dare to copy such a complex utility!

Tony Luck    mcvax!ukc!root44!aegl