[comp.dcom.modems] dialup IP

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.235355.23219@stb.info.com> andyb@stb.info.com (Andy B.) writes:
   Do you mean dialup IP just as dialup uucp is done for news/mail
   transfers now?  I didn't know you could do that.

There are two popular methods of encapsulating IP datagrams for
transmission over serial lines (including over dialup modems):  the
Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) as defined in RFC 1055, and the
more recent and functional Point to Point Protocol (PPP) as defined in
RFCs 1171 and 1172.  There are several implementations of each
available for free, and several companies are incorporating them into
their products.

Our engineers use PPP heavily over Telebit T1600s and T2500s and
Trailblazer Plusses to make their home Suns appear to be part of the
office network, and therefore part of the Internet in general.  It all
works very nicely.

kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) (06/10/91)

In article <BOB.91Jun8234920@remora.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <1991Jun8.235355.23219@stb.info.com> andyb@stb.info.com (Andy B.) writes:
>   Do you mean dialup IP just as dialup uucp is done for news/mail
>   transfers now?  I didn't know you could do that.
>
>There are two popular methods of encapsulating IP datagrams for
>transmission over serial lines (including over dialup modems):  the
>Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) as defined in RFC 1055, and the
>more recent and functional Point to Point Protocol (PPP) as defined in
>RFCs 1171 and 1172.  There are several implementations of each
>available for free, and several companies are incorporating them into
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 Where can I find these via anonymous ftp????

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

acton@cs.ubc.ca (Donald Acton) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.165154.28133@ohsu.edu> kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) writes:
}In article <BOB.91Jun8234920@remora.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
}>In article <1991Jun8.235355.23219@stb.info.com> andyb@stb.info.com (Andy B.) writes:
}>RFCs 1171 and 1172.  There are several implementations of each
}>available for free, and several companies are incorporating them into
} ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
}
} Where can I find these via anonymous ftp????
}
}
}--

One place that you ftp them from is cs.ubc.ca (137.82.8.5) and they can
be found in the directory rfc. The RFC-INDEX can also be found in that
directory.

Donald
acton@cs.ubc.ca

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.165154.28133@ohsu.edu> kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) writes:
   In article <BOB.91Jun8234920@remora.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
      ...There are several implementations of each [PPP and SLIP]
      available for free...

   Where can I find these via anonymous ftp????

ftp.ee.lbl.gov:cslipbeta.tar.Z
	header-compressed SLIP for Suns and perhaps other stuff

thumper.bellcore.com:pub/ka9q/*
	KA9Q for PCs and other stuff

icarus.riacs.edu:pub/slip/*
	various SLIP stuff for Suns and others

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/ppp/ppp-sparc4.1.tar.Z
	STREAMS-based header-compressed PPP for SunOS 4

uunet.uu.net:networking/dialupip2.0.tar.Z and .../dialupip2.0.patch.1.Z
	on-demand SLIP for Sun-3s under SunOS 3

uunet.uu.net:networking/*
	miscellaneous SLIP and PPP implementations for various hardware
	and other useful stuff

The current NCSA Telnet family may support SLIP and/or PPP, but I'm
not familiar with them.  That's all I can think of for now - surely
someone has more that I've forgotten

Also, several companies sell products incorporating SLIP and PPP.