[comp.dcom.modems] Prometheus Ultima v32bis/9600fax?

david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) (06/08/91)

I am very interested in your comments/opinions about the Prometheus Ultima. I
also have several questions?

1) Is it any good?
2) Does it successfully and reliably connect with v.32bis modems of other
   manufacture?
3) Can be used to receive both fax and data?  That is, can it switch betwwen a
   bbs application and a fax application?
4) What is its maximum serial port speed? That is. how fast can it talk to the
   computer it's connected to?

I probably have a million other questions, but can't think of them at the
momment.  For $699 it seems like a good deal, but only if has a good DSP
implementation.  If not, I would probably be better off with a USR v.32bis and
inexpensive fax modem.

I appreciate any and all help.

David C. Spiegelman
david@world.std.com
...!uunet!world!david

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.174947.12766@world.std.com> david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) writes:
>I am very interested in your comments/opinions about the Prometheus Ultima. I
>also have several questions?
>
>1) Is it any good?
>2) Does it successfully and reliably connect with v.32bis modems of other
>   manufacture?
>3) Can be used to receive both fax and data?  That is, can it switch betwwen a
>   bbs application and a fax application?
>4) What is its maximum serial port speed? That is. how fast can it talk to the
>   computer it's connected to?
>
>I probably have a million other questions, but can't think of them at the
>momment.  For $699 it seems like a good deal, but only if has a good DSP
>implementation.  If not, I would probably be better off with a USR v.32bis and
>inexpensive fax modem.

From the features (i.e. fax included) and the timing of its introduction,
it's probably just the first name brand modem using the Rockwell RC9696/14
board to hit the streets. If the new Rockwell chipset is troublesome as
the old one was .... buy the USR.

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE:

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (06/12/91)

I have an Ultima and I really like it. I haven't tried connecting to any
non-Ultimas at V.32b, but it worked well with another Ultima. It does not
do FAX/data switching: you set it to answer for FAX or for data. It can
send and receive FAXs at 9600 bps.

When I first got it, it had problems receiving certain FAXs, but they sent out
a ROM upgrade and a software upgrade, and it does FAX fine. The ROM upgrade
may have introduced a rather obscure bug involving V.42b, though. That is
being investigated to determine whether it is the Ultima or the modems that
CompuServe uses.

It talks to the Mac at 38400 bps max, so if it connects at V.32b, it will
not use V.42b, but will drop back to MNP-5.

I like the FAX software, and it works nicely in the background. (You choose
their Chooser document and print to the FAX to send. You set their INIT up
to answer the phone for receive. You can send to a list of people at any
time you want.) The MacKnowledge software is okay, but I like White Knight
much more.

It includes a RTS/CTS handshaking cable and White Knight, at least, appears
to use it correctly.

The modem is actually manufactured by another manufacturer whose name
escapes me. This manufacturer has a *very* good name in the PC world, from
what I have been told. When you do an AT*O to get the status, is tells you
that the Ultima model number is 9624 LEP, and I hear that this manufacturer
has a 9624LE+ modem.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)