[comp.dcom.modems] Compucom 9600 baud modems

Adrian_Boyko@resbbs.UUCP (Adrian Boyko) (05/26/91)

A friend of mine said that there was some discussion here concerning
Compucom's 9600 baud modems.  Does this group get archived anywhere?  I'd
like to go hunting for that discussion.  If not, I'd welcome any comments
(good or bad) anybody would care to email me on the topic.

Thanks,
Adrian Boyko

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/28/91)

In a letter to All, Adrian Boyko (Adrian_Boyko@resbbs.UUCP ) wrote:

 >A friend of mine said that there was some discussion here
 >concerning
 >Compucom's 9600 baud modems.  Does this group get archived
 >anywhere?  I'd
 >like to go hunting for that discussion.  If not, I'd welcome
 >any comments
 >(good or bad) anybody would care to email me on the topic.

   It was a short and relatively calm discussion:

GOOD:

 - It's CHEAP!
 - They're catching on.
 - Even if you never connect to another Speedmodem, they're good as a 2400
bps MNP5 modem.
 - They claim to use a 16550 UART on their modems, though I don't know if
it's the reliable National part or one of the flaky substitutes (WD, MX)
 - FAX model available

BAD:

 - They won't speak 9600 to anything except another Speedmodem
 - No V.42
 - Internal only
 - They seem to be back-ordered; a friend has had one on order for months
 - Not full duplex (I suspect half, but asymmetrical has been suggested)
 - How good can line quality be on a modem whose purpose in life is to do
9600 bps as cheaply as possible?

   I had expected to be able to render a technical opinion based on
observation (as opposed to speculation), but the Speedmodem Combo that my
colleague ordered a couple of months back has yet to arrive.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/30/91)

In article <110.28432781@zswamp.uucp> root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>In a letter to All, Adrian Boyko (Adrian_Boyko@resbbs.UUCP ) wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine said that there was some discussion here
> >concerning
> >Compucom's 9600 baud modems.  Does this group get archived
>[good and bad]
> - How good can line quality be on a modem whose purpose in life is to do
>9600 bps as cheaply as possible?

Excellent.  They use dynamic line impedance matching which seems to do a great
job of eliminating even the worst line noise.  When I was checking out modems,
they had the best noise elimination I saw.  PEP was better in really, really
horrible situations, but the CompuCom did a better job of getting full speed
transmissions noise-free.  I ended up with a Dual Standard since line noise
isn't usually a problem here and I wanted HST/v.32bis, but I can afford it.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (05/31/91)

--=}>> On 28 May 91 14:05:39 GMT, root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) said:

GW> In a letter to All, Adrian Boyko (Adrian_Boyko@resbbs.UUCP ) wrote:
[parts deleted..]

>A friend of mine said that there was some discussion here
>concerning
>Compucom's 9600 baud modems.  Does this group get archived
..

GW> It was a short and relatively calm discussion:
GW> GOOD:

GW> - It's CHEAP!
GW> - They're catching on.
GW> - Even if you never connect to another Speedmodem, they're good as a 2400
GW> bps MNP5 modem.

Well, I owned one, and I am going to have to disagree with this.  I
now own a USR HST, and when calling with 2400-MNP5, there is a very
noticable difference between a CompuCom and other brands.  The
CompuCom implementation of MNP5 seems very jerky and filled with
(IMHO) overly lengthy pauses.  I am familiar with "normal" MNP5
connections, and they are jerky as well, due to the packetting, but
much less so.

GW> - They claim to use a 16550 UART on their modems, though I don't know if
GW> it's the reliable National part or one of the flaky substitutes (WD, MX)
GW> - FAX model available

From what I was able to tell, they are not using a 16550.  I have ran
several different UART identifiers, and they all came up with "No
16550".  Also, the included MTEZ is supposed to list FIFO in the
connection information if a 16550 is detected, and it _does_not_.
Again, this is said without any hardware inspection or inside
knowledge, but on the software side, I, and all my programs, were
unable to find or use a 16550.  If anyone knows for sure what is on
that card, please post.

GW> BAD:

GW> - They won't speak 9600 to anything except another Speedmodem
GW> - No V.42
GW> - Internal only

They have an external model in the making.. Guesstimated release date is
approx. late Fall.

GW> - They seem to be back-ordered; a friend has had one on order for
      months
GW> - Not full duplex (I suspect half, but asymmetrical has been
      suggested)

According to their documentation, the back-channel is around 350 baud
(I can't find the docs now), similar to the HST.

GW> - How good can line quality be on a modem whose purpose in life is to do
GW> 9600 bps as cheaply as possible?

I had no problems with errors on bad lines, but most of my connections
are clean.

GW> Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
GW> root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

One aspect I haven't seen discussed is the actual thoroughput for file
transfer.  Having owned both the CompuCom and now a USR
HST-V.42-14.4K, I was surprised at the dramatic difference.

For starters, text reading is MUCH smoother on the HST.  The CompuCom
exhibits those lengthy packet pauses in 9600 mode as well, and they
drive me nuts.

As for file xfer, I almost always transfer .ZIP compressed files, so
any external protocol they offer (like CCSP) that boasts compression
will give me very little, if any.

Numbers:
On files of medium length (say 250K), clean connections, single-user
BBS's, Y-Modem/G

HST w/ V.42 at 14.4K:  average 1700 cps
                       usually 1620 - 1750 cps
                       I have seen 1750 once or twice
                       1600 is about the lowest.
                       Most xfers are about 1705-1710 cps.

HST without V.42 is less, but I don't have any averages because I do
it infrequently.  HST at 9600 (old models) is just that, averaging 960
or so cps. (Again, questionable estimate for lack of data.)

CompuComm 9600/REL (whatever that means) talking to another of the
same on a dedicated BBS:
                       Average 865 cps.
                       usually 850 - 900 cps
                       I did observe 920 once.
                       Speeds as low as 800 - 820 were not uncommon,
                       but less frequent.

No, I did not rigorously test over and over on the same files, and
this is all just jotting down what the protocol reports as a speed, so
it is all very questionable.. BUT for what I do (call BBS's and
up&down-load .ZIP files in the 100-300K range) these are very real,
and my basis for chosing the HST.

Of course, your mileage may, nay *WILL*, vary, so take it all with a
grain of statistical salt.

I have nothing to do with either CompuCom or USR, etc..

Read my other postings for details on the (excellent) service at
CompuCom and other aspects of the modem.

Happy Hacking!

-Steve

--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/01/91)

In a letter to All, Steve -Social Hacker (cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu ) wrote:

--=}>> On 28 May 91 14:05:39 GMT, root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) said:

GW> - Even if you never connect to another Speedmodem, they're good as a 2400
GW> bps MNP5 modem.

 >The CompuCom implementation of MNP5 seems very jerky and filled
 >with (IMHO) overly lengthy pauses.

   Funny, I used to say the same about the HST until I got the hang of
fine-tuning it.  On the other hand, the HST's docs were always good (and
they're getting even better), allowing me to do that.

GW> - They claim to use a 16550 UART on their modems, though I don't know if
GW> it's the reliable National part or one of the flaky substitutes (WD, MX)
GW> - FAX model available

 >From what I was able to tell, they are not using a 16550.  I
 >have ran
 >several different UART identifiers, and they all came up
 >with "No
 >16550".  Also, the included MTEZ is supposed to list FIFO in
 >the
 >connection information if a 16550 is detected, and it
 >_does_not_.
 >Again, this is said without any hardware inspection or
 >inside
 >knowledge, but on the software side, I, and all my programs,
 >were
 >unable to find or use a 16550.  If anyone knows for sure
 >what is on
 >that card, please post.

   As I reported recently, we were unable to identify positively the 40-pin
DIP on the board as a UART; I may get around to spending some more time with
it and trying a 16550.  In the mean time, it is either a 16550 (not so bad,
really, since it can be replaced), OR it *emulates* a 16450 (yuch!)

 >One aspect I haven't seen discussed is the actual
 >thoroughput for file transfer.  Having owned both
 >the CompuCom and now a USR HST-V.42-14.4K, I was
 >surprised at the dramatic difference.

 >For starters, text reading is MUCH smoother on the
 >HST.  The CompuCom exhibits those lengthy packet
 >pauses in 9600 mode as well, and they drive me nuts.

   I usually find that disbaling MNP5, forcing smaller packets, and using a
computer-modem link rate as close as possible to the modem carrier speed (i.e.
don't do talk 19,200 for a 2400MNP link) helps.

 >As for file xfer, I almost always transfer .ZIP compressed
 >files, so any external protocol they offer (like CCSP) that
 >boasts compression will give me very little, if any.

   I was very disappointed to discover that CSP was an external program.

 >Numbers:

   Please keep in mind that the HST you benched is a 14,400 bps device with
V.42bis; back in the days of the 9600 bps HST with MNP5, we did up to 1160 CPS
with data compression turned OFF (turning it on *slowed* the HST considerably
when transmitting precompressed files).

   Also, please rmember that your benchmark is only as good as the
configuration of the modem you're talking to.  When I was trying to test my
HST, I found that almost no boards (at least for the first while) had theirs
properly configured.  In particular, hardware handshaking was usually not
enabled, menaing that they couldn't lock the port speed higher than the
reported CONNECT speed or they'd lose characters with YMODEM-G.

 >Of course, your mileage may, nay *WILL*, vary, so take it
 >all with a grain of statistical salt.

   Done! <grin>

--

hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz (06/05/91)

In article <CG108DBD.91May30173937@icogsci6.icogsci1.ucsd.edu>, cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:
> GW> - They claim to use a 16550 UART on their modems, though I don't know if
> GW> it's the reliable National part or one of the flaky substitutes (WD, MX)
> GW> - FAX model available
>
> From what I was able to tell, they are not using a 16550.  I have ran
> several different UART identifiers, and they all came up with "No
> 16550".  Also, the included MTEZ is supposed to list FIFO in the

I have all the docs, plus their advertising material here, and nowhere can I
find any claim to this UART - nor can I find one on the card.

> CompuComm 9600/REL (whatever that means) talking to another of the
                 ^^^
> same on a dedicated BBS:
>                        Average 865 cps.
>                        usually 850 - 900 cps
>                        I did observe 920 once.
>                        Speeds as low as 800 - 820 were not uncommon,
>                        but less frequent.

Turn off RELiable mode (error correction), and you should get much more.  Users
on our Opus BBS quite regularly achieve 900-960 cps with ZModem (unless they
use an XT to download with  :-)

---
Peter Hendricks, sysop, The Beast BBS, Rotorua, NZ

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/08/91)

In article <133.284d5993@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz> hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz writes:
-Turn off RELiable mode (error correction), and you should get much more.  Users
-on our Opus BBS quite regularly achieve 900-960 cps with ZModem (unless they
-use an XT to download with  :-)

If they're using a 16550A with ZCOMM or Professional-YAM, they
should be able to get >2000 cps downloading to an XT.
TeleGodzilla is a 4.77 MHz PC with hard disk, and it gets about
2500 cps downloading from Unix at 38k.

"Don't believe everything you read in PC Magazine"

cg108w3@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve - Happy Hacker) (06/11/91)

--=}>> On 7 Jun 91 21:59:06 GMT, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) said:

CW> In article <133.284d5993@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz> hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz writes:
CW> -Turn off RELiable mode (error correction), and you should get much more.  Users
CW> -on our Opus BBS quite regularly achieve 900-960 cps with ZModem (unless they
CW> -use an XT to download with  :-)

CW> If they're using a 16550A with ZCOMM or Professional-YAM, they
CW> should be able to get >2000 cps downloading to an XT.
CW> TeleGodzilla is a 4.77 MHz PC with hard disk, and it gets about
CW> 2500 cps downloading from Unix at 38k.

CW> "Don't believe everything you read in PC Magazine"

I'm curious to know what kind of files acheive this speed.  It smells
like protocol compression to me.. :)

It's hard to discuss transfer speeds when people quote everything from
.ZIP files to 100K of nulls.  I try to stick with pre-compressed speed
ratings, because this is what the "real world" is for me.

If they really get 2500 cps out of binaries, I got a sour one, and
will definately try a different one!

-Steve
--

caf@omen.COM (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/12/91)

In article <CG108W3.91Jun10224829@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu> cg108w3@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve - Happy Hacker) writes:
---=}>> On 7 Jun 91 21:59:06 GMT, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) said:
-
-CW> In article <133.284d5993@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz> hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz writes:
-CW> -Turn off RELiable mode (error correction), and you should get much more.  Users
-CW> -on our Opus BBS quite regularly achieve 900-960 cps with ZModem (unless they
-CW> -use an XT to download with  :-)
-
-CW> If they're using a 16550A with ZCOMM or Professional-YAM, they
-CW> should be able to get >2000 cps downloading to an XT.
-CW> TeleGodzilla is a 4.77 MHz PC with hard disk, and it gets about
-CW> 2500 cps downloading from Unix at 38k.
-
-CW> "Don't believe everything you read in PC Magazine"
-
-I'm curious to know what kind of files acheive this speed.  It smells
-like protocol compression to me.. :)

I was responding to the question of downloading **with an XT**.
These are not fast machines, and some comms programs make them a
bit quadratic.  The 2500cps results were obtained downloading
from a Unix system at 38k (no modem).

Some files are compressible enough to allow a V.32bis/V.42bis
modem to hit 2500 cps throughput.  How many you have ready to
send somewhere interesting is another question.
--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ