[comp.dcom.modems] CompuServe V.32, V.42 and new $7.95/month "flat" basic rate

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (06/03/91)

Hi.  I just switched a CompuServe account over to using the basic rate
that CompuServe is testing.  It's $7.95 per month for a subset of services,
including a $9 credit for CompuServe mail per month.  While using basic
services, users that are using the basic rate billing system are not
charged any charges based on connect time.

That drastic change, having no per-hour connect time charges, seems to
be for real, and applies even to people using CompuServe's "9600 baud"
modems (which support V.32 and V.42).  It seems to me that this is a
"big" reason for a lot of people to get faster modems.  I'd like to discuss
this with some other people.  CompuServe forums are not part of the
basic set of services, so I may as well use USENET.  Has anyone used
CompuServe's "9600 baud" modems, and it is really the case that
V.32 and V.42 are supported but V.32bis and V.42bis are not?

Just wondering.  Please let me know if there's another USENET newsgroup
where CompuServe modems should be discussed.

Gary

robb@dfinc.UUCP (Robb Brock) (06/04/91)

In article <CRUM.91Jun2161511@alicudi.usc.edu>, crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
> Hi.  I just switched a CompuServe account over to using the basic rate
> that CompuServe is testing.  It's $7.95 per month for a subset of services,

What consist of the subset of services offered?

roger@wet.UUCP (Roger Niclas) (06/12/91)

robb@dfinc.UUCP (Robb Brock) writes:
> In article <CRUM.91Jun2161511@alicudi.usc.edu>, crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) writes:
> > Hi.  I just switched a CompuServe account over to using the basic rate
> > that CompuServe is testing.  It's $7.95 per month for a subset of services,
>
> What consist of the subset of services offered?

The "Basic Services" include Email (though there's a limitation on how many
pages you can send -- something like 90pp/month {don't quote me on that number,
I'm not certain of it} -- there is no charge for reading non-Internet mail,
regardless of the volume; Internet mail gets charged at the old rate, I think,
stock market quotes (w/ a 15-minute delay), the Academic American Encyclopedia,
Peterson's College Database, single-player games, a couple of headlines news
services, Eaasy Sabre airline reservations, and a few other things.

It's far from perfect, but it's not a bad deal at $7.95/month.  I guess the new
flat-rate services GEnie is offering in response to Prodigy has gotten to CIS.

Looks like the market economy works, albeit slowly.

Note: CompuServe is labelling this as a "test," and does not guarantee that the
flat-rate Basic Services plan will be continued.  My guess: as long as GEnie
offers a $4.95 barebones package, CIS will keep their flat-rate option going.

*  Email: roger@wet.UUCP    |                                                  *
*    alt: rogerd@well       |  witty remark designed to exhibit intellect goes *
* CompuServe: 72730,1010    |                    here                          *