[comp.dcom.modems] ISC 2.2.1 FAS 2.08

deano@admiral.UUCP (Dean Carpenter) (06/04/91)

I'm running ISC 2.2.1 on a Hauppauge 4860 33MHz.  I recently installed
FAS 2.08 as the standard ISC asy driver couldn't handle 19200 inbound
properly (according to ISC).  But I'm still seeing the same symptoms
with FAS - that is, outbound at 19200 (via TB2500) gets about 1500 cps
but inbound gets alarms.

Watching the TX/RX leds on the tb2500 I can see that data pours into the
system for about 5 seconds, then stops. Neither led is alight.  After
about 10 seconds, the alarm occurs and another 5 second burst occurs.
Due to these 10 second pauses, the cps rate drops to around 500 or worse.
Watching the output from Uutry -x9 shows the alarms happening when :

deano@admiral.UUCP (Dean Carpenter) <uunet!areyes!admiral!deano>
The Grid/Magpie and /Waffle BBS
(HST/V32) 203-661-1279 (PEP/V32) -2873 (V32) -0450 (V29/MNP6) -2967
Multiplayer Games, Multicolor Chat, Multibbses, Multifun!

deano@admiral.UUCP (Dean Carpenter) (06/04/91)

Sorry about that last post - fimble fungers here hit the wrong key :)

To continue :  Uutry -x9 shows this :

        pkgetpack: Connodata=1
        rec h->cntl 37777777612
        send 41
        pkgetpack: Connodata=1
        rec h->cntl 37777777622
        pkgetpack: Connodata=2          <--- here the leds go off
        rec h->cntl 37777777642
        alarm 1
        send 21

The TB2500 is configured to use full duplex hardware flow control, as is
the tty node for FAS, so I don't think that's the problem.  The symptoms
are identical to those with the standard asy driver too.  The Hauppauge
4860 uses 16450 UARTs (not 16550A's but they'll do).  I'm sure it's a
relatively simple fix, but I haven't hit the magic incantation yet.

Any help ?  Thanks - Dean
Please reply to : uunet!areyes!deano

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/13/91)

Dean.Carpenter@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Dean Carpenter) writes:

> I'm running ISC 2.2.1 on a Hauppauge 4860 33MHz.  I recently installed
> FAS 2.08 as the standard ISC asy driver couldn't handle 19200 inbound
> properly (according to ISC).  But I'm still seeing the same symptoms
> with FAS - that is, outbound at 19200 (via TB2500) gets about 1500 cps
> but inbound gets alarms.
>
> Watching the TX/RX leds on the tb2500 I can see that data pours into the
> system for about 5 seconds, then stops. Neither led is alight.  After
> about 10 seconds, the alarm occurs and another 5 second burst occurs.
> Due to these 10 second pauses, the cps rate drops to around 500 or worse.
> Watching the output from Uutry -x9 shows the alarms happening when :

I don't get the alarms but I see similar phenomena happening when
aegis pools kyoto-u--the data comes in bursts and then stops. But
the question is whether aegis is reading it in burts or the Sun at
running kyoto-u is sending in bursts. Since the data comes in
smoothly when I poll another copy of the aegis software (WAFFLE on
a DOS machine) I concluded it was the Sun, not aegis.

So I myself would hazard as guess that it's the sending side, not
your receving side...

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>