[comp.dcom.modems] T1600 Dropping carrier

gnn@heisenberg.Berkeley.EDU (George Neville-Neil) (06/12/91)

Hi All,

	I have owned a T1600 from telebit for a couple of months now
and every once in a while I have a rather perplexing problem.

	While logged in to work (which is either a T1600 or T2500) the
modem will unexpectedly drop carrier.  There are no noise characters
or the like.  I just get the message NO CARRIER.  This is 9600 baud
mode.

	Does anyone have any experience with this ??

	Any help would be appreciated.

				Thanks,
				George

--
George Neville-Neil      		Kinky is as kinky does.
gnn@mammoth.berkeley.edu

So many books, so little time.

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.182111.7088@agate.berkeley.edu> gnn@heisenberg.Berkeley.EDU (George Neville-Neil) writes:
>	While logged in to work (which is either a T1600 or T2500) the
>modem will unexpectedly drop carrier.  There are no noise characters
>or the like.  I just get the message NO CARRIER.  This is 9600 baud
>mode.

I occasionally have the same problem (the other end in my case is a
USR Dual Standard).  Line quality was generally good (it's a V.32/V.42
connection and I've checked the appropriate S register for a count of
retransmissions--and there were few, if any).

The connection just up and dies without warning.  This happens about
every four hours or so of connect time.  The last time it happened, I
had just transfered a couple megabytes of data (which proceded at full
speed) and was idling for a moment.

This is with 1.00 ROMS.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

P.S. No, I don't have call-waiting, and it has nothing to do with
TELCO automatic line testing.  I'm mystified.

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/13/91)

gnn@heisenberg.Berkeley.EDU (George Neville-Neil) writes:

>       While logged in to work (which is either a T1600 or T2500) the
> modem will unexpectedly drop carrier.  There are no noise characters
> or the like.  I just get the message NO CARRIER.  This is 9600 baud
> mode.

The first question I would ask is whether you are running in error-correction
mode. If so, then you won't see any noise characters (as they are being
filtered by the error-correction); thus you might want to think about
running without error-correction where you can see if there is any noise.
If you're not running in error-correction mode, I haven't a clue.

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>