[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit registers

edw@wells.UUCP (Ed Wells) (05/22/89)

  After calling another Telebit modem in PEP mode, have you ever gone
back to local mode and checked out the S60's and S70's registers while
the connection was connected?  I did and found what appears to be
several line/carrier condition tables with the grade of each of the 511
carriers.

  I tried making a local call several times to the same number and noticed
that each time I found small differences in these numbers (I assume the
line sampled slightly differently each time).

  For those hacker types, you may want to try to obtain exactly what type
of connection you have on your long distance calls.  I don't know, but
Telebit themselves may actually be interested in this information for
modem evaluation.

  No matter what these numbers come up with, I'm very happy with my
Telebit modem.  This still appears to the the Cadillac of the 19,200
baud modems.

Edward E. Wells Jr., President			    Voice: (215)-943-6061
Wells Computer Systems Corp., Box 343, Levittown, Pa. 19058
{dsinc,francis,hotps,lgnp1,mdi386,pebco}!wells!edw

russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) (05/25/89)

In article <49@wells.UUCP>, edw@wells.UUCP (Ed Wells) writes:
>   After calling another Telebit modem in PEP mode, have you ever gone
> back to local mode and checked out the S60's and S70's registers while
> the connection was connected?  I did and found what appears to be
> several line/carrier condition tables with the grade of each of the 511
> carriers.                                               ^^^^

Could someone please post how-to info on interpreting the table?  I've
tried checking the contents of register 76, but what I get is a listing
that varies from eight numbers to about a hundred...  *not* 511.

BTW, Ed mentioned in a previous article that he was unable to get his
TB+ to work faster than 9600 on outgoing calls.  My uucico supports
19.2 kbs calls, but I've never (ever) been able to get a throughput
of more than 700 bytes per second.  One of my net neighbors thinks
the problem might be line noise, but I'm beginning to suspect that something
else is wrong.  If anyone else has encountered a similar problem, how
about sharing the solutions?
--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 443-5000
uunet!wpg!russ

In article <1182@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
> In article <49@wells.UUCP>, edw@wells.UUCP (Ed Wells) writes:
>
> BTW, Ed mentioned in a previous article that he was unable to get his
> TB+ to work faster than 9600 on outgoing calls.  My uucico supports
> 19.2 kbs calls, but I've never (ever) been able to get a throughput
> of more than 700 bytes per second.  One of my net neighbors thinks
> the problem might be line noise, but I'm beginning to suspect that something
> else is wrong.  If anyone else has encountered a similar problem, how
> about sharing the solutions?

Are you sure your neighbor isn't running with an interface rate set to
9600 baud, either via "fixing" the baud rate with the S-registers or
letting the "incoming" baud rate default to the speed at which he last
talked to the modem?

This is a "problem" I've seen a couple of times, it's really not obvious
what the TB's are up to, since they will automatically do baud rate
adaption.  The numbers are a clue though, since 700 char/sec is in the
ball park thruput you get at a 9600 baud interface rate.

In article <1182@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
>Could someone please post how-to info on interpreting the table?  I've
>tried checking the contents of register 76, but what I get is a listing
>that varies from eight numbers to about a hundred...  *not* 511.

Sure you aren't losing some of them because of lack of flow control on
the line between modem and host?  It's really easy to drop a chunk of
stuff when you ask a TB for something like a register listing and your
host can't keep up with full-blast input.
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/26/89)

The line status registers (S70 .. S78) are indeed documented as
follows in the manual.  In case of misplaced manuals, they are:

S70	Instantaneous Transmit Rate.  Outbound raw bit rate, not
	necessarily the actual throughput.

S71	Transmit Bits Per Channel.  Reports number of bits
	currently in use for all 511 carriers.  Read only.

S72	Istantaneous Receiver Rate.  Inbound raw bit rate, not
	necessarily the actual throughput.

S73	Receive Bits Per Channel.  Reports number of bits
	currently in use ofr all 511 carriers.  Read only.

S74	Received Packets Retrasmitted.  Number of received packets
	requiring retransmission since start of this call.
	Read only.

S75	Packets Accepted.  Number of good packets received since
	current call began.  Read only.

S76	Equivalent Line Noise Profile.  CNR to the nearest 1/10th
	dBm at all 511 frequency points.  Read only.  Now this is
	definitely a cool register!

S77	Frequncy Offset.  Observed frequency offset of the communi-
	cations channel in Hz. to the nearest 1/16 for the current
	connection.  Valid for either PEP or regualr connection.

S78	Slow Mode Line Quality.  Merit figure 0 .. 100.  50 or
	or higher menas that the line will support acceptable
	communication.  Redialing is recommended if you have a
	merit of less than 30.

Bill
wtm@impulse.UUCP

root@grumbly.UUCP (rb duc) (08/18/90)

Does anyone know how to access Telebit registers S70, S71, S72, S73, S74,
S75, S76, S77, S78 - or seen a program to read these during a connection?

Most are read only and show Equivalent Line Noise Profile (S76),
Line Quality (S78), Instantaneous Receive Rate (S72),
Instantaneous Transmit Rate (S70), etc.  Is Pro Yam capable of doing
this ?

rbd

--
\\\
 - -   Richard Ducoty                                ..uunet!grumbly!root

colin@array.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (08/20/90)

In article <147@grumbly.UUCP> root@grumbly.com writes:
> Does anyone know how to access Telebit registers S70, S71, S72, S73, S74,
> S75, S76, S77, S78 - or seen a program to read these during a connection?

While the connection is set up, just do:
<pause>+++<pause>	(or whatever your escape sequence is)
OK
ats70?s71?s72?...
(register dump goes here)
OK
ato			(return to connection)
CONNECT FAST/UUCP	(or whatever)

You can also use the secondary port, I think... some extra pins on the
RS232 port are used to make a second serial port that can be used for
an out-of-band control channel.  I've never tried it myself, but the
first technique I described, I can vouch for.
--
	-Colin

wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (08/21/90)

In article <559@array.UUCP> colin@array.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>In article <147@grumbly.UUCP> root@grumbly.com writes:
>> Does anyone know how to access Telebit registers S70, S71, S72, S73, S74,
>> S75, S76, S77, S78 - or seen a program to read these during a connection?
>You can also use the secondary port, I think... some extra pins on the
>RS232 port are used to make a second serial port that can be used for
>an out-of-band control channel.  I've never tried it myself, but the
>first technique I described, I can vouch for.

Well, I have used the port on the secondary rs-232 channel.  It works.
Two caveats though:

	1) the secondary port only runs at 9600 baud (even though the
	   primary channel was set to 19200)

	2) the port gets all confused if you dial the connection on
	   the primary channel and then talk to it on the secondary.
	   Simply use the secondary channel for dialing and all is
	   well.

Oh, the tie in to Alt.Sys.Sun?  The Sparc SLC dual A/B port has the
compatible pinout to the Telebit dual A/B port.  A straight 25-pin
cable works great.  Just fire up two tip's one connecting to port A
the other to port B.

Sending the output of the Telebit registers to xgraph is a blast!  You
can see the bathtub shaped noise curves, etc.

While at it, its also fun to graph a scatter plot of
/usr/lib/uucp/SYSLOG.  Anyone else tried that?  Can anyone explain the
curve(s)?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht      uunet!nancy!wsrcc!wolfgang
Internet:		nancy!wsrcc!wolfgang@uunet.uu.net

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/12/91)

Greg Andrews posted a very useful follow up to Howard Siegel's m'aidez
for T-1600 result codes (a decode of S59) and this morning I got a
prompt and helpful reply from Mark at Telebit tech support regarding a
connect problem I'm having with a cellular phone.  Mark told me to
experiment with some undocumented register settings to make a PEP
connection work across a cellular link, I haven't finished experimenting.

What I'm wondering is whether or not a document exists that explains
what the various registers are and what they mean.  Maybe this is a topic
for a Nutshell book, but I seem to be out in left field when I encounter
things like the cellular stuff.  Greg shed light on S59, Mark told me to
meddle with S36 and S120, none of these are well covered in TFM.  I have
no interest in dorking around with my Telebit modems for the sheer hell
of it but I'd like to have some info about what these registers are and
what they do.  I'd pay some sum for it too, anyone else?
--
Bill Kennedy  internet  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM or ssbn!bill@attmail.COM
              uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (06/13/91)

In article <2081@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>Greg Andrews posted a very useful follow up to Howard Siegel's m'aidez
>for T-1600 result codes (a decode of S59) and this morning I got a
>prompt and helpful reply from Mark at Telebit tech support regarding a
>connect problem I'm having with a cellular phone.  Mark told me to
>experiment with some undocumented register settings to make a PEP
>connection work across a cellular link, I haven't finished experimenting.
>
>What I'm wondering is whether or not a document exists that explains
>what the various registers are and what they mean.  Maybe this is a topic
>for a Nutshell book, but I seem to be out in left field when I encounter
>things like the cellular stuff.  Greg shed light on S59, Mark told me to
>meddle with S36 and S120, none of these are well covered in TFM.  I have
>no interest in dorking around with my Telebit modems for the sheer hell
>of it but I'd like to have some info about what these registers are and
>what they do.  I'd pay some sum for it too, anyone else?

Well, we're talking about two very different situations here.  The S59
register in the T1600 is indeed documented - the manual is simply missing
some important information about the various options.  The S120 and J6S36
registers are only found in PEP modems - not in the T1600.

S120 and J6S36 are undocumented on purpose.  Several years back, when they
were first created, those registers were fully documented as a means to
make PEP handle adverse phone line conditions gracefully.

Suddenly, lots of people people started calling tech support to complain
that their PEP connections were running slowly.  It turned out these folks
were playing with the registers when they didn't need to.  They thought
it was required to adjust the registers for long distance calls.  In the
process they were affecting their interactive responsiveness.

To solve the problem Telebit removed the registers from the documentation.
If someone is having trouble with their connection, they can call tech
support for help, and they'll get advice on the register adjustments.
Everyone else won't mess with the registers, and therefore won't shoot
themselves in the foot.

I'm sure there will be folks who post the S120/J6S36 settings, either
in this newsgroup or in private e-mail.  Some of those settings are
rather old, and may not work as well with newer versions of firmware.

>Bill Kennedy  internet  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM or ssbn!bill@attmail.COM

--
 .------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/13/91)

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
[ I asked for some kind of comprehensive description of what the various
  registers are and what they do .... ]

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) replies:

>Well, we're talking about two very different situations here.  The S59
>register in the T1600 is indeed documented - the manual is simply missing
>some important information about the various options.  The S120 and J6S36
>registers are only found in PEP modems - not in the T1600.

Correct, my statement was confusing because I was confused.  I knew or
suspected that S120 and S36 were PEP only since that was the problem I
was (with Telebit help) chasing.  I didn't mean to suggest that Mercedes
mechanics should answer Lexus questions but that's the way I wrote it, sorry.

>S120 and J6S36 are undocumented on purpose.  Several years back, when they
>were first created, those registers were fully documented as a means to
>make PEP handle adverse phone line conditions gracefully.

And they do, indeed, change the behavior of the PEP interview.  I regret
tp report that there is no combination of settings that has solved the
problem over the cellular link, but there sure were differences in how the
modem on my end behaved.  I also got another call back from Telebit where
the fellow patiently explained what each one does and the good and bad
ways that they might and did interact.  He was also very helpful in handling
my "And when none of those work?" question but his nightmare scenario
suggestion didn't work either.  At this point it appears to be a cultural
(firmware differences?) problem between the modems.  Having stomped through
the swamp, I would have been farther out in left field had it not been for
Telebit's guidance; tip 'o the hat to them.

>Suddenly, lots of people people started calling tech support to complain
>that their PEP connections were running slowly.  It turned out these folks
>were playing with the registers when they didn't need to.  They thought
>it was required to adjust the registers for long distance calls.  In the
>process they were affecting their interactive responsiveness.

Several email messages to this effect and some further reflection make me
reluctantly agree.  Eons ago I served in submarines and there is a
category of individual who can not be tolerated on a submarine crew.  We
called them "valve twisters".  A valve twister is a nusiance at best, in
some settings they can kill you.  It's too bad that there are people who
are irresistably drawn to a big "keep out" sign or who persist in "Gee, that
looks interesting, I think I'll see what it does...".  They waste an awful
lot of time and sometimes manage to blame their vendor for their bone headed
misadventures.

>To solve the problem Telebit removed the registers from the documentation.
>If someone is having trouble with their connection, they can call tech
>support for help, and they'll get advice on the register adjustments.
>Everyone else won't mess with the registers, and therefore won't shoot
>themselves in the foot.

I'll confess that the crosshairs on my bazooka are in the shape of toes, but
I'm not a valve twister.  My curiosity is legitimate but I must reluctantly
agree that publishing such data, even suitably disclaimed with skull and
crossbones, can create more problems than it solves.  My preference is to RTFM
six or seven times and then not try anything daring unless I'm wrapped around
the axle of a problem.  In this case the better way is to m'aidez for a coach.
That doesn't work with all vendors but it does with Telebit.  I succeeded in
getting my two TB+'s so twisted up that they couldn't talk to each other over
a local call!

>I'm sure there will be folks who post the S120/J6S36 settings, either
>in this newsgroup or in private e-mail.  Some of those settings are
>rather old, and may not work as well with newer versions of firmware.

Probably so and more likely some valve twister will get something so badly
wedged that they'll claim that Telebit modems are all defective.  I'm
reminded of an article years ago that warned of some register settings for
a Hercules monochrome card that would send the monitor flyback into sure
and sudden meltdown.  That was fair enough, but there were several articles
posted, following up, confirming that those settings really did permanently
toast their monitor(s).  If only for that reason I'll resist the temptation
to tell everyone how you can cross up these undocumented registers (it was
not among the compatibility warnings from tech support, but close) such
that two otherwise healthy Trailblazers stop talking to each other on a local
call.

I'm still curious but based on Greg's (and the others, Thanks!) remarks, I
withdraw the question.  The pain of stupidity is so much sharper than the
pain of ignorance.  On this one I'll opt for ignorance.

Sorry for the bulk, but with modems and related gear becoming intelligent to
the point of brilliance, sometimes it's better that the safety nets have
trained operators.