[comp.dcom.modems] Procomm Plus 2.0 & DSZ and Procomm Plus 2.01 bug fix

eggbert@bu-pub.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.182650.24298@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

   In article <5102@orbit.cts.com> kurt@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Sletterdahl) writes:
   >Who is alleging that DSZ is built in to Procomm Plus 2.0x????
   >
   >In reviewing Procomm Plus 2.0 software, documentation, and
   >advertising, I haven't found any evidence of DataStorm making any such
   >allegations.

   I checked my Procomm Plus 2.0 docs also and couldn't find any references to
   DSZ. However, I think Datastorm SHOULD contact Chuck Forsburg (sp?) about
   DSZ. Procomm's implementation of ZMODEM performs miserably....

One MAJOR problem with Procomm's ZMODEM is that the resume feature is badly
implemented in that when Procomm resumes a file download, it doesn't check
that the truncated file is the same that is being downloaded. It just
checks the names. So, if I download file A and then download a different
file B which has the same name as A, but larger, it just assumes that you
are resuming the download of A and justs adds the extra bytes of B to the
end of A. DSZ will check that the files are identical before it resumes a
download and, if the two are different, either aborts or redownloads the file
from the beginning depending on your command line options.

DataStorm has also just released a maintenance release of Procomm Plus 2.0
(2.01) which fixes the 16550 UART bugs, terminal emulation bugs (VTs) , and
other 'minor' things. It's free to all registered users and contains only
those files which have been changed. Call them up or wait for their upgrade
notice.

--
Eugene Wang
eggbert@bu-pub.bu.edu