[comp.dcom.modems] PC transfers from US to Australia

kanya@ckgp.UUCP (Jim Kanya) (06/08/91)

I apologize in advance since this is probably a topic that has been raised
before but...

I expect to have a PC in Michigan and a PC in Australia that need to
transfer CAD drawings back and forth.  CAD drawings can get large (256,000
to 2,560,000 bytes) and I don't know how many drawings would be
transferred per night but was told it would be nightly.  After they find
out the price, I expect they will back off the nightly request.

Now that you know everything I know, what is the best course?  I was
thinking about two Telebit T2500 modems over a straight phone line.
If I go that route what kind of throughput can I expect?  Are there any
known problems transferring to/from Australia?

----
Thanks,
Jim Kanya               CKGP & Assoc. Inc.
(313) 642-7970          ...uunet!ckgp!kanya

jsanchez@polari.UUCP (jim sanchez) (06/09/91)

I would seriously consider Federal Express as an alternative.  I think
you will find that the bandwith/$ is better than phone lines if you
have enought data to send.  We did this calculation once a few years
ago and were surprised with the result.
Cheers
Jim
--
Jim Sanchez jim@hls.com
Hughes LAN Systems - Bellevue, WA (206)646-4999

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (06/11/91)

> I would seriously consider Federal Express as an alternative.

Most definitely.  Or DHL, or ...

But I would also consider the cost/benefit of immediacy.  We DHL a tape a week,
and modem a coupla megabytes a day.
--
randy@psg.com  ..!uunet!m2xenix!randy

larry@zztop.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/11/91)

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:

>But I would also consider the cost/benefit of immediacy.  We DHL a tape a week,
>and modem a coupla megabytes a day.

that is a cost-effective way to transfer stuff - we were shipping
a backbone feed via tape 3 days a week - and it got to be a pain
making the tape --
--
Larry Snyder
larry@zztop.rn.com

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (06/15/91)

In article <4399@polari.UUCP> jsanchez@polari.UUCP (jim sanchez) writes:
}I would seriously consider Federal Express as an alternative.  I think
}you will find that the bandwith/$ is better than phone lines if you
}have enought data to send.  We did this calculation once a few years
}ago and were surprised with the result.

Back in the early days of the arpanet this was mentioned several times:

Don't underestimate the bandwidth of a station-wagon load of magtapes.
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...{ibmsupt,ncar!cepu}!ollie}!scw  Internet:scw@SEAS.UCLA.EDU