[comp.dcom.modems] Unidentified Device

me4s5@telstr.UUCP (Mark Edgington) (06/10/91)

  I need some help identifying a device I picked up from a bank local to me
that was being torn down.  I presume it was some sort of modem to allow the
ATM to communicate with some main location/system.  But I need to figure out
what the heck it really is, so I can do something with it instead of having it
sit around doing nothing.  Ok, here are some details:  the power supply
included has the name TeleTrend printed on it with a model # WPS2001 printed
beneath a schematic diagram that's on it.  The device itself is a
big(1 x .75 x .25 ft) beige box with a removable top half.  Removed, there's a
status panel that is visible through a tinted plastic window on the top halp.
On the window there are 2 sets of blue blocks that apparently accept 4
probes/banana plug type things to by plugged into them.  The first set of
four, labeled XMT(Transmit, obviously..) are IN/2W, MON, OUT, and another MON.
 Then a set of 8 dip switches labeled LOSS, 4 indicator lights(PWR(SHF), DATA,
SC, and LB), another set of dips labeled GAIN OR LOSS.  Then the other blue
block w IN, MON, OUT, and MON..  I doubt anyone can get anything with that,
and it is pointless for me to continue on with more detail as there are a lot
of other things within the unit.  But if anyone has any idea of what this
might be (guesses are fine), let me know...  Thanks..

bud@kentrox.uucp (Bud Couch) (06/15/91)

In article <me4s5.1143@telstr.UUCP> me4s5@telstr.UUCP (Mark Edgington) writes:

>  I need some help identifying a device I picked up from a bank local to me
>that was being torn down.  I presume it was some sort of modem to allow the
>ATM to communicate with some main location/system.  But I need to figure out
>what the heck it really is, so I can do something with it instead of having it
>sit around doing nothing.  Ok, here are some details:  the power supply
>included has the name TeleTrend printed on it with a model # WPS2001 printed
                       ^^^^^^^^^ __ I think that it is TelTrend (no "e")

>beneath a schematic diagram that's on it.  The device itself is a
>big(1 x .75 x .25 ft) beige box with a removable top half.  Removed, there's a
>status panel that is visible through a tinted plastic window on the top halp.
>On the window there are 2 sets of blue blocks that apparently accept 4
>probes/banana plug type things to by plugged into them.  The first set of
>four, labeled XMT(Transmit, obviously..) are IN/2W, MON, OUT, and another MON.
> Then a set of 8 dip switches labeled LOSS, 4 indicator lights(PWR(SHF), DATA,
>SC, and LB), another set of dips labeled GAIN OR LOSS.  Then the other blue
>block w IN, MON, OUT, and MON..  I doubt anyone can get anything with that,
>and it is pointless for me to continue on with more detail as there are a lot
>of other things within the unit.  But if anyone has any idea of what this
>might be (guesses are fine), let me know...  Thanks..

I think that what you have is a Data Station Termination device. It is an
equalizer for what are called "conditioned" lines by the telco, used for
dedicated (non-dial network) data networks. It probabaly has a switch  on
there somewhere to select between 2w or 4w operation- that's why one jack
is labled "IN/2W"; for 4w it's the receive (IN), and on 2w, the XMT jack is
not operational.

Basically, what it does is to flatten out the frequency response curve of the
wires to the location. It does this by creating loss at frequencies where
there is little (in general, the lower end), and reducing that loss where the
wires have some, then adding gain to bring the whole thing back up to an
acceptable level.

Unless you have a dedicated line to use it on, I'd say that the parts should
come in handy in the old junk box. There are some good quality inductors and
capacitors used on it.

--
  Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox    | And diff'ring judments serve but to declare   |
 If my employer only knew... |That truth lies somewhere, if we knew but where|