[comp.dcom.modems] Standards: V.32 vs others

bud@kentrox.uucp (Bud Couch) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.183839.292@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>In article <201.2855A6B4@zswamp.uucp> root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>>In a letter to All, Peter C. Sun (psun@gn.ecn.purdue.edu ) wrote:
>> >Oh well, theres always HST...
>>
>>   <sigh> The HST suffers from *precisely* the same malady as the Hayes
>>V-9600, namely that it will speak only to its brethren.  Sadly (for you), the
>>HST was cheaper and caught on more in the BBS world, where you're likely to
>>need a 9600+ bps modem.
>
>Considering that the vast majority of BBS systems are running an HST for high
>speed, I don't think that's going to be a problem for him.  There's a big
>difference between going with a "standard" proprietary format and a nonstandard
>one.  If he really needs to he can buy a Dual Standard and get the HST and
>V.32bis protocols, although experience in San Diego shows that the V.32 is
>going to be fairly unused for a while - most of the users have figured out that
>they can call more places with an HST as well.
>
>I maintain a BBS list for San Diego... I don't have the exact stats on high
>speed modems, I haven't done any counts for a month or more, but for modems
>that are faster than 2400, it pretty much breaks down as:
>  %85 USR HST
>  %8  V.32 (bis)
>  %6  CompuCom
>  %1  Other
>
>These should still be fairly accurate, it doesn't change that much from
>month to month
>--
>Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

I don't maintain the bbs list for Portland/Vancouver, Lisa Gronke does,
and a hell of a job, too, but...

I beg to differ with you. The latest VanPort BBS listing has 171 full-time
systems with 184 asssociated numbers listed. Of these, 122 have no 9600 baud
capability. Of those that do, however, the breakdown shows 3 PEP systems,
10 HST systems, 24 V.32 systems, 20 dual HST/V.32, 4 dual PEP/V.32 systems,
and one Triple: PEP, HST, and V.32.

If you have a PEP modem you have 9600 baud access to 8 systems. If you
have an HST modem, you're good for 30 systems. If you have a V.32 modem,
you have acces to 49 systems. A dual HST/V.32 gives access to 59.

These are completely at odds with your figures.

Anyone who buys an HST only modem today is making a mistake. For overseas
lines, the net-wisdom is PEP, but within the US, a V.32, preferably with
V.42bis, is the way to go for the next couple of years.

These figures are for public access BBS's, most are DOS flavor, but there
are a couple of MAC boards and UNIX machines as well. Multi-line hunt groups
are counted as one line. Some of these are commercial support lines, like
Intel and Central Point Software, but most are hobby boards.

Anyone who wants to netmail, I can supply them with the phone number of
the board this list is maintained on.

--
  Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox    | And diff'ring judments serve but to declare   |
 If my employer only knew... |That truth lies somewhere, if we knew but where|

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (06/16/91)

(bbs list for Vancouver described)

the newsgroup 'alt.bbs.lists' would welcome a periodic posting of the
VanPort BBS list, if someone doesn't send it out there already.

--Ed

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun15.010527.13458@kentrox.uucp> bud@kentrox.uucp (Bud Couch) writes:

>In article <1991Jun13.183839.292@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>>I maintain a BBS list for San Diego... I don't have the exact stats on high
>>speed modems, I haven't done any counts for a month or more, but for modems
>>that are faster than 2400, it pretty much breaks down as:
>>  %85 USR HST
>>  %8  V.32 (bis)
>>  %6  CompuCom
>>  %1  Other
>>

>I beg to differ with you. The latest VanPort BBS listing has 171 full-time
>systems with 184 asssociated numbers listed. Of these, 122 have no 9600 baud
>capability. Of those that do, however, the breakdown shows 3 PEP systems,
>10 HST systems, 24 V.32 systems, 20 dual HST/V.32, 4 dual PEP/V.32 systems,
>and one Triple: PEP, HST, and V.32.
>
>If you have a PEP modem you have 9600 baud access to 8 systems. If you
>have an HST modem, you're good for 30 systems. If you have a V.32 modem,
>you have acces to 49 systems. A dual HST/V.32 gives access to 59.
>
>These are completely at odds with your figures.
>[conclusions based on this]

Have you ever considered that different cities have different BBS populations?
Just because your figures for Portland are different than mine for San Diego
(where I maintain one of the primary BBS lists) doesn't mean that mine are
wrong!  Your population appears to be radically different than ours, including
far fewer BBSes and a much smaller percentage of those have high-speed modems.

I'd suggest that anyone buy whatever best suits the town they live in.  I have
a Dual Standard V.32bis, but that's fairly useless in V.32bis mode as the only
other modems that have V.32bis are other Dual Standards.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.014917.5563@qualcomm.com> rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
(Lots of stuff deleted)

>I'd suggest that anyone buy whatever best suits the town they live in.  I have
>a Dual Standard V.32bis, but that's fairly useless in V.32bis mode as the only
>other modems that have V.32bis are other Dual Standards.

I beg to differ, but currently Digicom makes a V.32bis modem, which on the
Mac is marketed by Prometheus as the Ultima (it also includes 9600 bps
fax capability).  Soon there will be several others, as well, so the best
advice would be to get the best modem available, which (given sysop
pricing) is now probably the Courier V.32bis ($459 each to sysops, I
think; Dual Standards can be had for $499).

John Heckendorn
--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A