[comp.dcom.modems] Netblazer+T2500+NCD+Xremote ?

dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) (05/27/91)

I'd like to hear from anyone using the Telebit Netblazer plus
two T2500's, one local, one remote with an NCD using the Xremote
software. Can this work to provide dialup users with X at home
or remotely at, say, a trade show, demo etc ?  Any problems you
encountered, distances, other remarks - all welcome.

If there's interest I'll summarise. Thanks in advance.

Dave Morton,
European Computer Research Centre		Tel. + (49) 89-92699-139
Arabellastr 17, 8000 Munich 81. Germany.	Fax. + (49) 89-92699-170
E-mail:	dave@ecrc.de
--

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (06/06/91)

| From: dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton)
| Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
| Date: 27 May 91 08:53:35 GMT
|
| I'd like to hear from anyone using the Telebit Netblazer plus two
| T2500's, one local, one remote with an NCD using the Xremote software.
| Can this work to provide dialup users with X at home or remotely at, say,
| a trade show, demo etc ?  Any problems you encountered, distances, other
| remarks - all welcome.

  Urk ...  Uhmmm, I think you have extreme overkill here.  For a single X
terminal at home, the only real options are either an NCD running their
Xremote software or a GraphOn.  In my past experience (tests conducted
last summer), the GraphOn approach has yielded a heck of a lot better
performance, but that was a long time ago and I'm getting ready to run
another head to head comparison so that should be taken with a grain of
salt ...  In any case, neither setup uses IP at the terminal, so a
NetBlazer is both overkill and non-useful.

  For something like a trade show, on the other hand, where you want to
provide general IP connectivity, the NetBlazer is fine, though I'd look
closely at investing in four modems instead of two.  The NetBlazer can do
bandwidth splitting between two modem connections to give you double the
throughput of a single modem connection.  This can be very important even
with compressed SLIP because of the overhead SLIP and IP impose on your
raw modem bandwidth.

Casey

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/07/91)

In article <98874@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>  Urk ...  Uhmmm, I think you have extreme overkill here.  For a single X
>terminal at home, the only real options are either an NCD running their
>Xremote software or a GraphOn.  In my past experience (tests conducted

If you are doing demo's etc. at trade shows, I would follow
NCD's recommendation, use X-Remote and a pair of V.32bis modems.
Even with X-Remote there is added advantage to using V.42bis
compression......you should be able to run at 38.4 Kb on MOST
ordinary phone lines.  Performance at 19.2 isn't that bad if
your hardware can't handle 38.4.

I would highly recommend a V.32bis modem that uses a proprietary
DataPump (i.e. not the Rockwell).  Performance on the Codex,
and DSI is roughly identical.....anecdotally the Hayes series
are also good performers (no direct testing of them).  All of
them are more suited to THIS SPECIFIC application than PEP type
modems.

You can actually use a V.22bis modem with V.42bis set just as
fast as it will run....performance with applications that use
backing store isn't that shabby...NCD themselves does this...I
would recommend the V.32bis for best thruput though.  Highly
recommend the Hayes V.22bis if you go that route.

Disclaimer:  These recommendations are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect official positions of Pyramid
Technology or NCD.

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (06/07/91)

In article <98874@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>| I'd like to hear from anyone using the Telebit Netblazer plus two
>| T2500's, one local, one remote with an NCD using the Xremote software.
>| Can this work to provide dialup users with X at home or remotely at, say,
>| a trade show, demo etc ?  Any problems you encountered, distances, other
>
>  Urk ...  Uhmmm, I think you have extreme overkill here.  For a single X
>terminal at home, the only real options are either an NCD running their
>Xremote software or a GraphOn.

Async DECnet at 9600 baud works quite well and is tolerable. Compressed
slip suffers from a bit more overhead but it will do as long as you are
running window managers, etc. locally.

Regarding Xremote. Seems to me that Xremote is not a very modular
solution, being a combination application level protocol and transport.

I feel that a significant serial line speed up could be had just be
compressing the application layer data and then feed it to the
transport layer. This way all that is needed is a compressor/decompressor
on each side of the wire and existing servers and clients could be used.
Sort of the way xscope works.

Am I missing some obvious reason why this would not work?

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) (06/20/91)

Leedom) writes:
|>| From: dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton)
|>| Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
|>| Date: 27 May 91 08:53:35 GMT
|>|
|>| I'd like to hear from anyone using the Telebit Netblazer plus two
|>| T2500's, one local, one remote with an NCD using the Xremote software.
|>| Can this work to provide dialup users with X at home or remotely at, say,
|>| a trade show, demo etc ?  Any problems you encountered, distances, other
|>| remarks - all welcome.
|>
|>  Urk ...  Uhmmm, I think you have extreme overkill here.  For a single X
|>terminal at home, the only real options are either an NCD running their
|>Xremote software or a GraphOn.  In my past experience (tests conducted
|>last summer), the GraphOn approach has yielded a heck of a lot better
|>performance, but that was a long time ago and I'm getting ready to run
|>another head to head comparison so that should be taken with a grain of
|>salt ...  In any case, neither setup uses IP at the terminal, so a
|>NetBlazer is both overkill and non-useful.
|>
|>  For something like a trade show, on the other hand, where you want to
|>provide general IP connectivity, the NetBlazer is fine, though I'd look
|>closely at investing in four modems instead of two.  The NetBlazer can do
|>bandwidth splitting between two modem connections to give you double the
|>throughput of a single modem connection.  This can be very important even
|>with compressed SLIP because of the overhead SLIP and IP impose on your
|>raw modem bandwidth.
|>
|>Casey
The intention was indeed to allow access from a number of remote users
not just one NCD.