[comp.dcom.modems] connecting a modem in Germany

hirst@imsl.UUCP (Richard Hirst) (06/12/91)

Does anybody know if Deutsche Telekom will allow you to use your own modem to connect to the public
telephone network?  (I tried calling them, but they never answer.)  What modems/protocols are available?
Please e-mail any help to uunet!imsl!hirst.  Thanks in advance.
			    Richard Hirst

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (Wolfgang R. Schulz) (06/13/91)

hirst@imsl.UUCP (Richard Hirst) writes:

>Does anybody know if Deutsche Telekom will allow you to use your own modem to connect to the public
>telephone network?  (I tried calling them, but they never answer.)  What modems/protocols are available?
>Please e-mail any help to uunet!imsl!hirst.  Thanks in advance.
>			    Richard Hirst
You may connect your own modem to the german telecom network
a s  l o n g
as it is FTZ or FZZ approved (and carries that mark on it)  a n d
your place is equipped with the new TAE outlet - officially installed
by Telecom. Only in that case may you connect FZZ approved equipment
yourself. Otherwise: no,no,no.
And otherwise: those who ask a lot, get many answers...
The allowed protocols and speeds etc. depend on the legal modem
you are using. If you bring your Taiwan $68 self imported, as 80%
of all netters do, who cares whether you whistle in C-major or
D-minor...
If you want to use Telekom's packet switching device - that's something
different. They are only accessable in larger cities at 300, 1200,
2400 and the odd 1200/75 baud rate, no MNP.
BTW: even acoustic couplers (yes, they are still around) must be
FTZ or FZZ approved. Hm.
Wolfgang.
--
***Wolfgang R. Schulz, Theodor-Koerner-Weg 5, 2000 Hamburg 61, Germany***
***phone: +49 40 5521878*****BTX: 0405521878*****MCI Mail: 241-2526******

dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) (06/20/91)

In article <9283@mcshh.hanse.de>, wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (Wolfgang R.
Schulz) writes:
|>hirst@imsl.UUCP (Richard Hirst) writes:
|>
|>>Does anybody know if Deutsche Telekom will allow you to use your own
modem to connect to the public
|>>telephone network?  (I tried calling them, but they never answer.)
What modems/protocols are available?
|>>Please e-mail any help to uunet!imsl!hirst.  Thanks in advance.
|>>			    Richard Hirst
|>You may connect your own modem to the german telecom network
|>a s  l o n g
|>as it is FTZ or FZZ approved (and carries that mark on it)  a n d
|>your place is equipped with the new TAE outlet - officially installed
|>by Telecom. Only in that case may you connect FZZ approved equipment
|>yourself. Otherwise: no,no,no.
|>And otherwise: those who ask a lot, get many answers...
|>The allowed protocols and speeds etc. depend on the legal modem
|>you are using. If you bring your Taiwan $68 self imported, as 80%
|>of all netters do, who cares whether you whistle in C-major or
|>D-minor...
|>If you want to use Telekom's packet switching device - that's something
|>different. They are only accessable in larger cities at 300, 1200,
|>2400 and the odd 1200/75 baud rate, no MNP.
|>BTW: even acoustic couplers (yes, they are still around) must be
|>FTZ or FZZ approved. Hm.
|>Wolfgang.
|>--
|>***Wolfgang R. Schulz, Theodor-Koerner-Weg 5, 2000 Hamburg 61, Germany***
|>***phone: +49 40 5521878*****BTX: 0405521878*****MCI Mail: 241-2526******
|>***Internet:wrs@mcshh.hanse.de**Bang:..unido!mcshh!wrs**wrs@mcshh.UUCP***

Wolfgang is correct - that's the bottom line. You can *try* to connect
and it'll probably even work. Dont get caught though..... In practice
many people do connect non-approved modems, I guess the Bundepost simply
tolerate it sometimes but not always.

Dave Morton,
European Computer Research Centre		Tel. + (49) 89-92699-139
Arabellastr 17, 8000 Munich 81. Germany.	Fax. + (49) 89-92699-170
E-mail:	dave@ecrc.de