[comp.dcom.modems] T1600 V32BIS upgrade

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (06/22/91)

Has anyone learned more about the T1600 V32BIS upgrade issue other than
the $249 price?

The issues that come to mind are:

* For new sales, will they just start shipping T1600s with V32BIS at
some point, or will Telebit be selling some kind of T1600+ with V32BIS
at a premium?

* What is the nature of the upgrade. Is it firmware, or a motherboard
swap? Is it customer installed?

* Does the upgrade also get you PEP?

* When will the upgrade be available?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

siegel@stsci.EDU (Howard Siegel) (06/22/91)

In <7683@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu writes:
> Has anyone learned more about the T1600 V32BIS upgrade issue other than
> the $249 price?
>
> The issues that come to mind are:
>
> * For new sales, will they just start shipping T1600s with V32BIS at
> some point, or will Telebit be selling some kind of T1600+ with V32BIS
> at a premium?
>
> * What is the nature of the upgrade. Is it firmware, or a motherboard
> swap? Is it customer installed?
>
> * When will the upgrade be available?

Having just seen the press release I called Telebit to ask for more info.
The customer rep I talked to (I didn't get his name) said that even though
they have announced a V32bis T1600, that there is no relase date for it or
the upgrade to the current T1600.  The price is $249 per modem, but again,
there is as yet no product.  I asked about being grandfathered since I have
just purchased the modem (less than 2 weeks old) but he had no information
about this situation.  He did say that anyone who has a T1600 on their records
(via the warranty card) should (but no guarrantee) be getting information as
soon as it is available.  If you need info sooner or want to talk to the
product manager then they will take your name and number and get back to you
(I declined this right now).  I didn't ask what the nature of the upgrade
was (new ROMs, new boards, etc.) or if PEP would be thrown in since they
really didn't seem inclined to disclose this info.

Bottom line... No news yet!

--
     Howard Siegel             siegel@stsci.edu             301-338-5415
     TRW     c/o Space Telescope Science Institute    Baltimore MD 21218