[comp.dcom.modems] Getty for ISC/Telebit T-2500 w/autobaud via the CONNECT msg?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/15/91)

Does anyone have a getty working with ISC Unix and Telebit modems
that will change the line baud rate according to the `CONNECT xxxx'
message from the modem?

I'm hoping to get something like this working on ports that are
used bi-directionally via the kernel/driver based locking scheme,
not the uugetty approach.  Is this even possible?

(I don't want to lock the port speed on the Telebits because that
breaks some nice features on programs like vi, etc., that adapt
their display to the speed of the connection.)

Thanks

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun15.030807.28565@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Does anyone have a getty working with ISC Unix and Telebit modems
>that will change the line baud rate according to the `CONNECT xxxx'
>message from the modem?
>
>I'm hoping to get something like this working on ports that are
>used bi-directionally via the kernel/driver based locking scheme,
>not the uugetty approach.  Is this even possible?
>
>(I don't want to lock the port speed on the Telebits because that
>breaks some nice features on programs like vi, etc., that adapt
>their display to the speed of the connection.)

	Despite the last comment, I HIGHLY reccomend locking
the speed of the modem. I know someone that tried for a week
or two trying to get the T2500 to work like the manual shows,
but never really got it off the ground. Furthermore I cannot
picture were getty is going to get the connect string from,
but then again I've always gone the locked speed route. The
connect string always seemed to be more for using cu
or some such dialout. I'm not even sure that the modem will
issue a connect string when someone calls in. There should be
a way to query it though. I'll look into it a bit more this
weekend, but I have to say .. I would just lock the port.
I've seen 9600 baud modems for $179 US. At that, every one
should have one .. (excepting of course students :-)

| Karl Nicholas             | A million monkeys in a million years    |
| karln!karln@uunet.uu.net  | did write Shakespear, we evolved ...    |

marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.030807.28565@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
 > Does anyone have a getty working with ISC Unix and Telebit modems
 > that will change the line baud rate according to the `CONNECT xxxx'
 > message from the modem?

Don't bother.  Set up the T2500 to use flow control and then lock the
interface at a set speed, perferably 19200.  Grab FAS (current version is
2.08) and use it instead of the default ASY driver.  Then program the T2500 to
use RTS/STS flow control (S58=1) and lock the interface speed (S51=5, S66=1).
You can select outgoing dial speeds in your Systems file by doing something
like:

  host Any ACU 19200 ...
  host96 Any ACU9600 19200 ...
  host24 Any ACU2400 19200 ...

The interface speed will be locked at 19200 but the connect speed is set by
the ACUnnn number.  The entries in Devices look like:

  Direct ttyf0 - Any direct \D
  ACU ttyf0 - 19200 telebit \T
  ACU9600 ttyf0 - 19200 telebit9600 \T
  ACU2400 ttyf0 - 19200 telebit2400 \T
  ACU1200 ttyf0 - 19200 telebit1200 \T

The Dialers entris that support these rates will be something like:

  # The direct entry supports direct access to the modem.  It is used by the
  # Direct devices entry.
  direct	=,-,	"" \M\pAT\r\c OK\r ATQ0V1\r\c OK\r \c
  telebit	=,-,	"" \M\pAT\r\c OK\r ATQ0V1S50=255\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\m\c CONNECT

  # The following dialers are used to force an outgoing connection at a
  # certain rate while still keeping the interface speed locked at another
  # rate.  This has been testing with a telebit T2500

  telebit9600	=,-,	"" \M\pAT\r\c OK\r ATQ0V1S50=6\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\m\c CONNECT
  telebit2400	=,-,	"" \M\pAT\r\c OK\r ATQ0V1S50=3\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\m\c CONNECT
  telebit1200	=,-,	"" \M\pAT\r\c OK\r ATQ0V1S50=2\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\m\c CONNECT

Good luck.

// marc
--
// home: marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc
// work: marc@ascend.com		uunet!aria!marc

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/16/91)

karln@uunet.uu.net writes:

> In article <1991Jun15.030807.28565@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard
> >Does anyone have a getty working with ISC Unix and Telebit modems
> >that will change the line baud rate according to the `CONNECT xxxx'
> >message from the modem?
> >
> >I'm hoping to get something like this working on ports that are
> >used bi-directionally via the kernel/driver based locking scheme,
> >not the uugetty approach.  Is this even possible?
> >
> >(I don't want to lock the port speed on the Telebits because that
> >breaks some nice features on programs like vi, etc., that adapt
> >their display to the speed of the connection.)
> >
>       Despite the last comment, I HIGHLY reccomend locking
> the speed of the modem. I know someone that tried for a week
> or two trying to get the T2500 to work like the manual shows,
> but never really got it off the ground. Furthermore I cannot
> picture were getty is going to get the connect string from,
> but then again I've always gone the locked speed route. The

I have Paul Sutcliff's getty 2.0 running Telebit 2500/1600s and it
works well for changing the baud rate on dialin but not for dialout.

First off, getty 2.0 allows you to send an init string to the modem
which isn't really needed for Telebits as they are very configureable
but allows you to run older/cheaper modems (that you may already have)
which don't.

Second, if you configure the modem as it would be for a BBS it
returns a CONNECT (speed)/(link)/(compression) which shows just
about everything you need to set the speed. I modified the orignal
getty 2.0 to only lock the speed on a CONNECT with error checking
but otherwise let it run free as locking the speed with non-error
checking connects really screws up their ability to stop/start
scrolling without hideous amounts of overrun (with all modems, but
particularly with those like the Telebit which have huge buffers).

However, if you think about it (and I didn't, but found out after I
had the thing running), there isn't any convenient way of hanging
getty 2.0 on the line and have it (perhaps init the modem and then)
wait for a CONNECT string and let cu or something else sneak in
their and dialout. Maybe I'm missing something here because getty
2.0 can look for a lock on the port and won't try and init the
modem if it's already in use, but if getty 2.0 has the port and is
waiting for the CONNECT and you go and run cu or something that
dials out, getty starts interpreting things to the confusion of all.

Perhaps there is a way around this but I have 4 lines and decided
to hang a regular uugetty on one and share it with a fax (the line
also has a switch on it that let's incoming calls select either the
fax or the modem) and run getty 2.0 on the rest. So I have UUCP,
locked-uugetty line and 3 running getty 2.0 which interpret the
CONNECT string. A further feature of is that there is no need for
users to hit RETURN so magic number of times; getty 2.0 picks up
the CONNECT string and will generate a configureable signon banner.
Mine is

  Aegis - 06/16/91 06:19:16 - ttyF04 9600 BPS - 4 user(s) online

  login:

Hope that helps,

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

==== The Aegis Society =============================================
Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.154304.25987@uunet.uu.net> karln!karln@uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) writes:
>I HIGHLY reccomend locking
>the speed of the modem. I know someone that tried for a week
>or two trying to get the T2500 to work like the manual shows,
>but never really got it off the ground.

I had my TB+ running unlocked for many months without any problems.  I
had it set up that way because some older slow modems (Everex 2400 bps)
would drop characters when receiving from the TB.  UUCP and interactive
use were both impossible with the interface speed locked.  Does anyone
know what causes this?

>Furthermore I cannot
>picture were getty is going to get the connect string from,

I mentioned the same thing to Richard in mail.  I've played with one of
those so-called auto-bauding gettys.  The problem was that the modem
issued the CONNECT message before asserting DCD, so the getty never saw
it, since it was blocked in open() waiting for DCD.  I guess these
gettys can only be used if you use a non-blocking open() device on the
serial port?  But then you can't use the device for dialout.  Would it
be possible for FAS to optionally save incoming characters when no
device has the port open, and hand them to the next process to open the
device?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/17/91)

In article <qaJN42w164w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>about everything you need to set the speed. I modified the orignal
>getty 2.0 to only lock the speed on a CONNECT with error checking
>but otherwise let it run free as locking the speed with non-error
>checking connects really screws up their ability to stop/start
>scrolling without hideous amounts of overrun (with all modems, but
>particularly with those like the Telebit which have huge buffers).

   That point about over-run has only been a problem, in my experience,
when the serial driver/modem is NOT using CTS/RTS hardware flow
control. For this I was told to get FAS 2.08 as the stock ISC
asy drivers did not handle it.

>their and dialout. Maybe I'm missing something here because getty
>2.0 can look for a lock on the port and won't try and init the
>modem if it's already in use, but if getty 2.0 has the port and is
>waiting for the CONNECT and you go and run cu or something that
>dials out, getty starts interpreting things to the confusion of all.

   In ISC and or FAS, I thought the trick about that one was that
there are two different /dev/tty?? devices to use. In ISC
there are even three if I remeber right.

  1: tty00   for terminals ?
  2: ttyd0   for getty waiting for dialin ..
  3: acu00   for cu looking to dialout while getty has ttyd0.

  in FAS ... ummm ..

  1: ttyf0 for dialin
  2: ttym0 for dailout  (Probably wrong, but its something)

  So have you tried that? I've seen it work real nice. I think
it is an easy point to miss if you are used to the uugetty fashion.

>locked-uugetty line and 3 running getty 2.0 which interpret the
>CONNECT string. A further feature of is that there is no need for
>users to hit RETURN so magic number of times; getty 2.0 picks up
>the CONNECT string and will generate a configureable signon banner.

   I'm a gonna havta look into this getty 2.0 thing.

steve@nuchat.sccsi.com (Steve Nuchia) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.021808.1704@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>had it set up that way because some older slow modems (Everex 2400 bps)
>would drop characters when receiving from the TB.  UUCP and interactive
>use were both impossible with the interface speed locked.  Does anyone
>know what causes this?

As explained to me by Telebit tech support:

There is a provision in the relevant standards that says, essentially,
that the modem-to-modem data stream is allowed to skip a stop bit time
slot every eight characters if the host-to-modem link is faster than
the modem-to-modem link.  Apparently telebit decided to take advantage
of this.  Unfortunately, if the *other* modem-to-host link is not
faster than the modem-to-modem link, and the stream is continuous,
there is no time to catch up and the buffers (if any!) overflow.

The 3b1 internal 1200 bps modem was where I first encountered this
particular problem.  There have been others.  I worked around the problem
by setting up dialer scripts that set the host-to-modem interface to
match the desired transmission speed.  I use those entries only for
connections that require them.  Uucp neighbors that have this problem
are outdial-only, since I leave speed locked for indial (and most outdial).

--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
	"Innocence is a splendid thing, only it has the misfortune

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/18/91)

karln@uunet.uu.net writes:

> In article davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>
> >about everything you need to set the speed. I modified the orignal
> >getty 2.0 to only lock the speed on a CONNECT with error checking
> >but otherwise let it run free as locking the speed with non-error
> >checking connects really screws up their ability to stop/start
> >scrolling without hideous amounts of overrun (with all modems, but
> >particularly with those like the Telebit which have huge buffers).
>
>    That point about over-run has only been a problem, in my experience,
> when the serial driver/modem is NOT using CTS/RTS hardware flow
> control. For this I was told to get FAS 2.08 as the stock ISC
> asy drivers did not handle it.

Ummm, I think you're thinking about another kind of overrun.

What I'm talkng about is when somebody connects at, say, 2400 BPS
non-MNP (which means there is no CTS/RTS involved between their
machine to their modem to my modem) and asks for some long article
to be sent without any paging. If the Telebit on my system is
locked at, say, 19,200, it throws stuff at the Telebit at that
speed while the Telebit is sending it out over the line at only
2400 BPS. Since the Telebit has a buffer of something like 10K the
buffer fills up as the speed between my machine is so much faster
than the speed between the Telebit and the other modem-machine. So
then the person on the other end sends ^S to stop the flow and my
system stops sending to the Telebit ... but the flow doesn't stop
at the other end until the buffer in the Telebit empties.

People with MNP also get this but have been willing to live with it
as they get a much higher speed; people without MNP moaned and
complained so much that I changed the logic of the way my system
handles connects so that it only locks the port on MNP/LAPM/etc.
error correction. Thus under non-error correction there is no
overrun when they send ^S as there is nothing in the buffer.

> >their and dialout. Maybe I'm missing something here because getty
> >2.0 can look for a lock on the port and won't try and init the
> >modem if it's already in use, but if getty 2.0 has the port and is
> >waiting for the CONNECT and you go and run cu or something that
> >dials out, getty starts interpreting things to the confusion of all.
>
>    In ISC and or FAS, I thought the trick about that one was that
> there are two different /dev/tty?? devices to use. In ISC
> there are even three if I remeber right.

Yes, this is so, but it doesn't take into consideration what
happens when you start sending init strings to the modem (as the
normal getty/uugetty pretends that the modem is just a terminal
whose CD signal goes on and off). Once getty 2.0 has sent the init
string sent and is waiting for a CONNECT string of some kind,
things go very strangely if another process jumps in there and
sends yet another init/dialout string!  I would imagine there might
be some way to kill off the first getty 2.0 that's sitting there
waiting for a call/CONNECT so a second one could re-init/dial out
but I didn't try it.

> >locked-uugetty line and 3 running getty 2.0 which interpret the
> >CONNECT string. A further feature of is that there is no need for
> >users to hit RETURN so magic number of times; getty 2.0 picks up
> >the CONNECT string and will generate a configureable signon banner.
>
>    I'm a gonna havta look into this getty 2.0 thing.

I found this is a big improvement over "hit RETURN the number of
times between the highest speed on the modem that you happen to
hit on the rotary and the speed at which you want to connect",
which is what users have to do with the regular getty/gettydefs.

Sheesh! I thought computer were supposed to do the work...

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/19/91)

In article <aJJs41w164w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>What I'm talkng about is when somebody connects at, say, 2400 BPS
>non-MNP (which means there is no CTS/RTS involved between their
> [...]
>complained so much that I changed the logic of the way my system
>handles connects so that it only locks the port on MNP/LAPM/etc.

 Oh, well. I can see I'm gonna hafta get some real ISC experience
 before I'ma gonna be of any real help here. TTYL :-)

>sends yet another init/dialout string!  I would imagine there might
>be some way to kill off the first getty 2.0 that's sitting there
>waiting for a call/CONNECT so a second one could re-init/dial out
>but I didn't try it.

See above.

>>    I'm a gonna havta look into this getty 2.0 thing.
>
>I found this is a big improvement over "hit RETURN the number of
>times between the highest speed on the modem that you happen to
>hit on the rotary and the speed at which you want to connect",
>which is what users have to do with the regular getty/gettydefs.
>
>Sheesh! I thought computer were supposed to do the work...

Close:
	It is supposed that computers are a lot of work ...

rhealey@digir4.digibd.com (Rob Healey) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun15.154304.25987@uunet.uu.net> karln!karln@uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) writes:
>I've seen 9600 baud modems for $179 US. At that, every one
>should have one .. (excepting of course students :-)

	Just a point of clearification:

	Those $179.00 modems are REALLY 2400 baud modems with V.42bis
	which can, if the wind is blowing in the right direction and
	you have a file of 0's, get you 9600 baud THROUGHPUT but not
	9600 baud.

	The lowest price V.32 modem I've seen is about $480.00.

	Personally, I think tose companys who advertise this should
	be hauled in for false advertising.

		-Rob
--

Rob Healey                                          rhealey@digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/20/91)

karln@uunet.uu.net writes:

> >Sheesh! I thought computer were supposed to do the work...
> >
> Close:
>       It is supposed that computers are a lot of work ...

Ahh! Right! Thinking that computers are supposed to do the work
is pure supposition :-)

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (06/20/91)

<< whether or not to lock the interface speed of Telebit modem >>

Locking the interface speed is pretty handy.  I typically run my
port getty at 19200 and let the modem, in my case a Trailblazer +,
handle the speed translation.

There are some things you have to watch out for.  Namely with speed
translation going on in the modem, there is inevitable need for
flow control.  In normal dial-up the default xon/xoff flow control
works quite well.  However, the flow control will zap uucp
connections by adding extra characters to the data stream.  At 1200
and 2400 bps, the modem will insert flow control often enough that
the window of 3 packets is sure to get zapped with the result being
a deadlock of infinite retries.  The easy way to get around the
flow control problem is for your site to dail out to outher sites
with the modem set at a speed appropriate to the connection type.
You could still get flow problems if you are running the interface
at 4800 bps with the assumption of getting an MNP-4 2400 bps
connection.  In such cases, I disable MNP compression (limit to
level 3).

The Trailblzer, and most v.32 modems, have the ability to use the
RTS/CTS leads for flow control.  This has the advantage of keeping
the flow out of the character data stream.  Also advantageous is
the fact that the flow control latency is reduced because the flow
message is not queued in input buffers, etc; it can go straight to
the driver.  I believe the stock ISC/ATT asy port driver does not
have RTS/CTS flow capabilities; I don't recall off hand, but the
fas port driver available at your friendly ftp connection may have
it.

Auto bauding getty certainly is possible, though I have not seen it
available for for ISC.  I am using a TB+ on our HP-9000 with HP's
uugetty.  Their uugetty looks for carriage returns initially to set
the speed.  It usually one takes one return to recognize 9600 or
19200 but may take up to 5 to recognize 1200 bps.  Obviously, here
I let the modem match the speed of the connection; no problems with
flow control.  No need to read the CONNECT message from the modem,
vi even gets the right window size.  In this case, I use Q3 for
the verbosity setting (no messages, ever).  I've tried the Q6 and
have occasionally had troubles with the modem getting confused
about what modality it is in, resulting getting getty babble.  I use
the fist entry in the dialer chat script to switch back to Q0 to allow
progress monitoring.

There is one last thing.  I've heard some complaints about people
that use TB modems with locked interface speeds of a phenomenon
called bit-shaving.  Apparently TB modems might have slight speed
mismatches when doing speed translation.  From my understanding,
newer modems aren't bothered, but older modems have problems
staying in sync.  I've also been told that the newer firmware for
TB modems mitigates the bit-shaving problem.

Hope this is of some help,
Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.213521.21982@digibd.com> rhealey@digir4.digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>In article <1991Jun15.154304.25987@uunet.uu.net> karln!karln@uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) writes:
>>I've seen 9600 baud modems for $179 US. At that, every one
>>should have one .. (excepting of course students :-)
>>
>	Just a point of clearification:
>
>	Those $179.00 modems are REALLY 2400 baud modems with V.42bis
>	which can, if the wind is blowing in the right direction and
>	you have a file of 0's, get you 9600 baud THROUGHPUT but not
>	9600 baud.

	Oh, well, make a sucker outta me ...

>	The lowest price V.32 modem I've seen is about $480.00.
>
>	Personally, I think tose companys who advertise this should
>	be hauled in for false advertising.

	Not to mention charging too high a price

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) (06/21/91)

In article <aJJs41w164w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>>    That point about over-run has only been a problem, in my experience,
>> when the serial driver/modem is NOT using CTS/RTS hardware flow
>> control. For this I was told to get FAS 2.08 as the stock ISC
>> asy drivers did not handle it.

>Ummm, I think you're thinking about another kind of overrun.
>
>What I'm talkng about is when somebody connects at, say, 2400 BPS
>non-MNP (which means there is no CTS/RTS involved between their
>machine to their modem to my modem) and asks for some long article
>to be sent without any paging. If the Telebit on my system is
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Hmm. This is a problem in my opinion. Users should be taught to use
more or pg. What really annoys me is when I type:
% l /etc | more

  l expands to '/bin/ls -lg !* | more', and the first more sometimes
manages to not turn itself into cat when stdout isn't a terminal...

>People with MNP also get this but have been willing to live with it
>as they get a much higher speed; people without MNP moaned and
>complained so much that I changed the logic of the way my system
>handles connects so that it only locks the port on MNP/LAPM/etc.
>error correction. Thus under non-error correction there is no
>overrun when they send ^S as there is nothing in the buffer.

  I've given some thought as to how to pick up the CONNECT messages. I
may eventually do some hacking on fas, but since I still haven't
convinced my boss that fas is usefull :-) (various comments about sticking
with the vendor's stuff, so we know it works and can solve clients
problems...)

  What I'd like to do is to write a getty that does just one extra
ioctl. What I understand about streams, however tells me that this
won't work. (Are ttys streams under ISC? I can't remember right now. I
think not.)
  Have getty open(file,O_NDELAY), and then ioctl(fd,I_PUSH,"Telebit").
The "Telebit" streams module knows how to do things with Telebits on
the other end of the line. (you could probably get away with a generic
'Hayes' module, I don't know yet)
  The trick is to convince the underlying driver to return characters
to this streams module even when DCD is down, AS LONG AS /dev/acuBLAH
isn't open. The streams module hangs around, and waits for 'RING' and
sends a friendly 'ATA' back. No more answering the phone when the
computer has locked up without dropping DTR.
  Among important things that this module would do would be to parse
the CONNECT xxxx message and remember that number. The interface speed
wouldn't actually change (unless, I guess, you really wanted it to in
order to support ^S). However, any ioctl(...TCGETS...) calls would
have their speed entry patch to reflect the actual connect speed. vi
and friends can do their low speed optimizations.
  Even better, would be to have this nice little module do dial out
too. If it receives RING while setting up the modem, it returns "BUSY"
and gives the getty a kick. This would require modifying uucico and cu
though, and would make the module much bigger.
  I can't think of a good way to implement this kind of stuff in user
mode, and still support the dial in and dial out ports.
  I saw most of this stuff in Fidonet mailers, and implemented parts
of it for Welmat (an Amiga mailer).

>whose CD signal goes on and off). Once getty 2.0 has sent the init
>string sent and is waiting for a CONNECT string of some kind,
>things go very strangely if another process jumps in there and
>sends yet another init/dialout string!  I would imagine there might
>be some way to kill off the first getty 2.0 that's sitting there
>waiting for a call/CONNECT so a second one could re-init/dial out
>but I didn't try it.

  The /dev/tty0d and /dev/acu0 are the best thing since sliced bread.
I have tried repeatedly on many different OSs and many different
machines to get uugetty to do its stuff, and I have always failed, or
I've never been satified with how it is doing its thing.

>>    I'm a gonna havta look into this getty 2.0 thing.
>
>I found this is a big improvement over "hit RETURN the number of
>times between the highest speed on the modem that you happen to
>hit on the rotary and the speed at which you want to connect",

  Which is why I like locked interface speeds. Concerning ^S/^Q ---
can the Telebit be configured to respond to them from the remote
system? Hmm. I want an emacs info document on my Telebit inaddition of
that inch thick book.

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    |  so little time.

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (06/21/91)

A rather inexpensive, if not the least expensive, v.32 modem of
credible qualtiy is made by GVC.  I purchased mine in single
quanity for $405.  Price for ten or more is $395.  GVC is based on
the ubiquitous Rockwell v.32 chipset engine and includes MNP level
and v.42 / v.42bis lap-m error correction and compression provided
by a Z-80 running Softart's MNP/v.42 firmware.  The command
processor is an 8031 with 32K of its own firmware.  The maximum
interface speed is 38400, so you can get full benefit of v.42bis on
a clean link.  The manual is relatively well written, but the v.42
commands are covered in a supplement that could be misplaced.
Fortunately, AT&H is an on-line manual that lists all of the many
commands.  There is EEPROM (not battery backed CMOS!) that can
store two configurations; the contents may be viewed with AT&V.

GVC was rated #2 in the PC Week v.32 modem poll just behind
Digicomm.  I don't currently have a line impairment test set, but
subjectively GVC performs on par with Digicomm and Hayes for noise
rejection and sensitivity.  I have a trunk circuit that I can dial
up that has a sync slip problem that renders non MNP 1200 baud and
2400 modems unusable.  I was able to hold a connection between the
GVC and Digicomm on that line at 9600 with the test light on the
GVC blinking regularly (confirming the sync slip) showing the error
correction.  Thoughput was better than 800 char / sec.

I work in a computer support center and have a chance to tear apart
the GVC modem and scrutiize it.  It is very well made from decent
materials.  I do not recommend the internal GVC 9600 (for IBM ISA
bus) for Unix users becuase the UART is only an 80C450.  This means
that you can't take advantage of interrupt overhead reduction by
employing the fas 2.08 driver and Nat. Semi. 16550 Uart chip.  The
80C450 on the GVC internal modem is a surface mount 40 pin chip
which makes its replacement with 16550 rather impractical.

To stay non-commercial, anybody that wants to know the vendor
should contact me via email.  I have no connection with GVC other
than as a user (who is now $405 less rich than before!)

PS: speaking of Digicomm, they now have a new firmware release that
supports v.42 lap-m, but not v.42bis.  The upgrade is free from
Digicomm technical support (ask for Dave).

Bill

--

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/21/91)

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

>   Hmm. This is a problem in my opinion. Users should be taught to use
> more or pg. What really annoys me is when I type:
> % l /etc | more

Perhaps you aren't aware of how what telco charges are in Japan.
Aegis is in Kyoto where local dial (standard all over Japan) is
only 3.3 yen/min (US$0.24/min) but many people call in from other
nearby places like Osaka and Kobe where it starts running something
like 50 yen/min (US$.35). Not many people read online after the
first month and the phone bill comes in....

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun20.171902.23267@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca>
mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

>The "Telebit" streams module knows how to do things with Telebits on
>the other end of the line. (you could probably get away with a generic
>'Hayes' module, I don't know yet)

Go for it. I'm not sure whether it should be viewed as a streams
module or as a sort of Media Access component of the data link
layer but it's about time everything to do with handling modems
was put in once place (with configuration files for the particular
hardware etc) so that higher layers of software just tell it what
phone number they want to connect to or accept a connection from it.

--
Opinions disclaimed (Authoritative answer from opinion server)
Header reply address wrong. Use cmf851@csc2.anu.edu.au

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/22/91)

In a letter to All, Rob Healey (rhealey@digir4.digibd.com ) wrote:

 >In article <1991Jun15.154304.25987@uunet.uu.net>
 >karln!karln@uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) writes:
>I've seen 9600 baud modems for $179 US. At that, every one
>should have one .. (excepting of course students :-)
>
 >        Just a point of clearification:

 >        Those $179.00 modems are REALLY 2400 baud modems
 >        with V.42bis which can, if the wind is blowing in
 >        the right direction and you have a file of 0's,
 >        get you 9600 baud THROUGHPUT but not 9600 baud.

 ... unless you're talking about the CompuCom SpeedModem, which really is a
9600 bps modem... which isn't 9600 bps compatible with anything but other
CompuCom SpeedModems.  Fortunately (for those who bought one), there is a
growing pool of support for these things.

 >        Personally, I think tose companys who advertise this
 >        should be hauled in for false advertising.

   You mean those who advertise 2400 bps modems with data compression as "9600
bps" modems; I agree.  Most, however, advertise "throughput UP TO 9600 bps"
(emphasis mine), which is legally acceptable.

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root