[comp.dcom.modems] Two line modems

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (06/19/91)

  It occurs to me that this may be a dumb or obvious question but ...

  Are there any two-line modems ? That is, modems with their modular
plugs wired for both lines of a two-line jack and a software command
to select either of the lines for a given call/answer.

Jeff Sicherman

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.072206.21039@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  It occurs to me that this may be a dumb or obvious question but ...
>
>  Are there any two-line modems ? That is, modems with their modular
>plugs wired for both lines of a two-line jack and a software command
>to select either of the lines for a given call/answer.
>
>Jeff Sicherman

	Better Yet, Are There Any Two Line (or multiline) Modems That
	Use Only ONE IRQ (Interrupt Request Line).

	For instance, a modem that shares, say, IRQ5 between both
	modems (or multiple ones).

	Thanks...Regards |(8>
---
Robert
rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/22/91)

In a letter to All, Robert D. Thompson (rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu ) wrote:

 >In article <1991Jun19.072206.21039@beach.csulb.edu>
 >sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:
>
>  Are there any two-line modems ? That is, modems with their modular
>plugs wired for both lines of a two-line jack and a software command
>to select either of the lines for a given call/answer.

 >        Better Yet, Are There Any Two Line (or multiline)
 >        Modems That Use Only ONE IRQ (Interrupt Request Line).

   I'm sure that the original author meant a single modem that could select
between two phone lines; yours is a different question altogether.

   You might want to consider one of the multiport cards available from fine
manufacturers like DigiBoard and Arnet; they offer many ports on one card
(and one interrupt); they are the natural choice if you're using UNIX, QNX,
or similar mutlitasking operating systems.

   On the other hand, if you're using DOS, you might consider confining
yourself to software which uses a FOSSIL to driver the serial port (as
opposed to installing an interrupt service routine to drive the UART
directly); the "X00" FOSSIL for the PC can deal with multiple ports sharing
an interrupt (and in fact makes use of the prioritized vector port provided
by most multiserial ports!)... if you must use non-FOSSIL software, confine
it to one of the 'standard' DOS ports (COM1, COM2) and leave the eight-line
BBS you're running under DesqView to the Multi-8!

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root