[comp.dcom.modems] AT O after +++

goldberg@cs.ubc.ca (Murray W. Goldberg) (06/20/91)

I have recently taken possession of a USR V.32bis courier. The price was
excellent and so seems the modem - except for one nagging question...

    I have the modem set such that issuing the +++ during a connection does
not drop the line (dip switch 9 down - if you care). When I want to return
online after command execution I issue "AT O" (have also tried at o0, at o1,
and at o2). The problem is that I do not seem to be returned properly on-line.
I am not in command mode any longer, but I type characters and they are not
echoed - nor do they seem to be received at the other end..

    This behaviour is exhibited on a connection between two like modems (USR
courier V.32 bis), running 14400 w/ V.42bis. Trying the same thing with other
modem types on the other end sometimes works (at least with AT O1), and
sometimes doesn't.

    Has anybody seen this? Is there some manual page I have neglected to read?
Is there some obvious reason for this not to work? Is this posting ever going
to end?

    As per usual - any advice/experience would be most appreciated.

-----
Murray W. Goldberg       | UUCP:     {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!goldberg
Dept. of Computer Science| Internet: goldberg@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia|           (cs.ubc.ca=137.82.8.5)
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z2  | CSNET:    goldberg@ubc.csnet
(604) 822-3123           |

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (06/21/91)

The +++ may be putting the remote modem off line also. We had the same problem
with our modems until we changed the +++ to something else on the site modems.

                                      Vernon

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/22/91)

In a letter to All, Vernon King (vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com ) wrote:

 >The +++ may be putting the remote modem off line also. We
 >had the same problem
 >with our modems until we changed the +++ to something else
 >on the site modems.

   I disable it completely (any S2 value over 128 will do that); if I want to
hang up, I'll drop DTR.  I have found few useful changes that can be made
while on-line (I'd be interested in hearing any of yours).

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root