[comp.dcom.modems] Modems

major@zelator.UUCP (Thomas Nolte) (01/27/90)

Hello...

ist here anybody whos has experiences with 9600 Baud modems for example
US Robotics etc..?

          bye
          Thomas N.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (02/07/90)

In article <305@zelator.UUCP> major@zelator.UUCP (Thomas Nolte) writes:
>Hello...
>
>ist here anybody whos has experiences with 9600 Baud modems for example
>US Robotics etc..?

We just bought a bunch of Telebit T1000 9600 Baud modems. They seem to work
pretty good. I have managed to get SL/IP running between two suns using these
modems. X windows performance over the SL/IP line is kinda OK, about what I
would expect.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

wreu90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Underwood WRE) (12/11/90)

Hello, I am looking into high speed modems (i.e. 9600/14400 bps).
Looking in magazines, the prices range wildly (from $299 to $1000).
Could someone please explain the difference between the various types.
Will these also work in England? What does HST stand for? etc.

Richard Underwood - wreu90@uk.ac.soton.ecs

Lockie_Martin@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Lockie Martin) (01/06/91)

FSC-Control: EID:73db 1626ac45
* Original: FROM.....Garry Mckay (771/160)
* Original: TO.......All (771/160)
* Forwarded by.......Silver Xpress

At present I'm using a borrowed modem and want to know what is out
there that actual users recommend.  Please help!

Garry

--- via Silver Xpress V2.27 [NR]
 * Origin: Xpress'n interest in Genealogy: GenBOARD 64-4-4990-490 (3:771/160)
SEEN-BY: 771/110 160 170 180 772/20
FSC-Control: PATH: 771/160 170

garrett@cs.rochester.edu (Bill Garrett) (06/24/91)

Heres the summary.  I'd appreciate email recommending a9600 baud modem
for use with our departments Telebit T1600's.  Before the religious wars
start I'll state upfront that my deciding factor will most likely be
money (e.g. the poor grad student deal).  If the modem works with the T1600
and is reasonably fast and is CHEAP (say 400 - 500, the lower the better)
I'll buy it.  Recommendations and experiences welcome.  Pointers to manufactures
BBS would also be appreciated as well as pointers to good mail order places.

  Appreciate,
    Bill

--
Bill Garrett			ARPA: garrett@cs.rochester.edu
University of Rochester		UUCP: {decvax,rutgers}!rochester!garrett