[comp.dcom.modems] Help with a "Practical Modem" 9600

san@mpd.tandem.com (Steve Sanderson) (06/25/91)

I need help with a modem I just bought.  I bought a "Practical Modem 9600"
from CompuAdd (may have been "9600SA" actually) and now I'm trying to use
it to UUCP between an SPARC SLC and a remote computer with Trailblazers.

Has anyone ever used one of these modems?  Apparently, it was an InfoWorld
product of the year, but I'm concerned that it's use with UNIX systems, Sun
in particular, may be minimal.

When I am transfering a file via UUCP and I turn on debug, my system times
out waiting for another packet.  I've tried playing with flow control,
along with waving  my hands and a couple other things, but I can't figure it
out.  I'm reasonably confident that the remote system is OK, mainly because
someone with an identical setup to mine, except they have a Trailblazer
instead, works with no problem.

So, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Steve Sanderson (san@mpd.tandem.com)

skipm@dorsai.com (Dorsai SysOp) (06/25/91)

san@mpd.tandem.com (Steve Sanderson) writes:

> When I am transfering a file via UUCP and I turn on debug, my system times
> out waiting for another packet.  I've tried playing with flow control,
> along with waving  my hands and a couple other things, but I can't figure it

Steve :
         Make sure that your modem-terminal combination is reporting
the ACTUAL speed of the connection, and that the modem is not operating
at a higher speed while the local system is slower or faster. We've
had this problem over here at DORSAI, where the modem will report a 9600
connect, but the actual speed between the modem and the host is 2400. It
buffers the data and sends it. The reverse is also true in stranger cases.

Try issuing the command ATS95=1. This may help.

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **