[comp.dcom.modems] V.42/V.42bis vs. MNP4/MNP5

zjdg11@hou.amoco.com (Jim Graham) (06/25/91)

In article <78@uis-oc.UUCP> bob@uis-oc.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) writes:
> In article <1991Jun18.123604.9315@hou.amoco.com> zjdg11@hou.amoco.com
> (Jim Graham) writes:

>> I'll take V.42/V.42bis over MNP4/5 any day.....

> Some of us like to squeeze the last ounce of speed out of our equiptment

like me, for example....very definitely.  when I'm at home, I pay for just
about every call, including local calls, on a per-minute basis.  also, I
don't have a lot of patience to sit and wait on a slow modem (virtually nil,
in fact).  Add those up, and look at my last month's phone bills, and even
the slightest improvement helps.

> so we poor miss guided souls prefer to disable V.42 and go with MNP4.
> As to V.42bis and MNP5, V.42bis is the winner but since I do alot of
> file xfers of ZIPed files, I also disable compression on my modem.

Ok, we agree that V.42/V.42bis beats MNP4/MNP5 --- so why use MNP4/MNP5
if you have a choice?  with V.42bis turned on, I still see an increase in
throughput on Zmodem file transfers of ZIPped files (115 -- 125 percent
efficiency as opposed to 97 percent seems common), so how does turning if off
help?

So, what am I missing here?  I'm honestly curious as to why so many people
seem to talk about the evils of V.42bis on file xfers when I see such an
improvement....that is, btw, measured stats on BBSs and from DSZ.  (The stats
are somewhere in a big pile of paper at home....and probably got tossed in
this weekend's cleaning up, but if anyone is really interested, I could
easily take note of some more.)

   --jim

Standard disclaimer....These thoughts are strictly mine, not my employer's.

Share and Enjoy!  (Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, complaints division)
73, de n5ial

Internet:  zjdg11@hou.amoco.com    or    grahj@gagme.chi.il.us
Amateur Radio:
   TCP/IP:    jim@n5ial.ampr.org (44.72.47.193)
   Packet:    BBS went QRT for good...still searching for new one.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (06/25/91)

zjdg11@hou.amoco.com (Jim Graham) writes:
> So, what am I missing here?  I'm honestly curious as to why so many people
> seem to talk about the evils of V.42bis on file xfers when I see such an
> improvement....that is, btw, measured stats on BBSs and from DSZ.  (The stats

Because they don't know what they're talking about.

MNP5, which is the MNP implimentation of compression, tries to
compress already-compressed data, and ends up making the data bigger,
meaning you usually see a throughput DROP when you enable MNP5 on a
connection that's sending compressed data.  V.42bis, on the other
hand, doesn't bother compressing the data if it ends up bigger after
compression than it was before -- sort of like compress(1) without the
-f switch.  Anyway, people who speak the evils of using V.42bis on
compressed file transfers are thinking that it does the same bad
things that MNP5 does, which is not true.

Just as some additional data points: I regularly get 1120cps or so
using Zmodem to transfer .ZIP files over a 9600/V.32/V.42/V.42bis
connection.  On the other hand, UUCP throughput (sending compressed
news batches over a V.32 connection) jumped from about 750cps to about
990cps when I turned off MNP5 and only used MNP4.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"