[comp.dcom.modems] old AT&T 1200 bps modems

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (06/22/91)

I may have an opportunity to buy a few old AT&T dataphones.  These were
made before AT&T was split up.  They operate at 1200 bps.  I already
own a faster modem, so it would not be so useful to me.  Is there any
reason to buy these?  They are interesting looking and obviously VERY
well made.  They also come with five line office telephones, also well
made.  Where can I get technical info on these.  Are they worth
buying?  Is there anything creative I can do with this hardware?
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (06/24/91)

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:

>I may have an opportunity to buy a few old AT&T dataphones.  These were
>made before AT&T was split up.  They operate at 1200 bps.  I already
>own a faster modem, so it would not be so useful to me.  Is there any
>reason to buy these?  They are interesting looking and obviously VERY
>well made.  They also come with five line office telephones, also well
>made.  Where can I get technical info on these.  Are they worth
>buying?  Is there anything creative I can do with this hardware?
*----
These modems are very well made and worth the $ 5 - $ 15 they fetch at
hamfests.  If you know some kids who need modems for their computers,
and they understand the concept of manual dialing rather than Hayes-type
commands, it would be a nice gesture to buy the modems for them.

I assume that you're talking about the 212A modems, and not a 202 variety.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

aburt@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu (Andrew Burt) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun23.193855.26002@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes:
>tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>>I may have an opportunity to buy a few old AT&T dataphones....

>These modems are very well made and worth the $ 5 - $ 15 they fetch at...

>I assume that you're talking about the 212A modems, and not a 202 variety.

On a related note -- we picked up about ten of these, but they have
a "funky" connector wired to them -- for a PBX I imagine -- about an
inch thick and 4" long.  Does anyone have a wiring schematic for that
type of connector so we can tear them off and put a normal DB25 on it?
--
Andrew Burt 		   			uunet!isis!aburt or aburt@du.edu

	    "There are people in the world who do not love their
	     fellow human beings -- and I *hate* people like that" -- Tom Lehrer

kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) (06/25/91)

In article <tr.677539905@samadams> tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>I may have an opportunity to buy a few old AT&T dataphones.  These were
>made before AT&T was split up.  They operate at 1200 bps.  I already
>own a faster modem, so it would not be so useful to me.  Is there any
>reason to buy these?  They are interesting looking and obviously VERY
>well made.  They also come with five line office telephones, also well
>made.  Where can I get technical info on these.  Are they worth
>buying?  Is there anything creative I can do with this hardware?

I've got one of these.  They are manual dial, auto answer.  They work
good for incoming only lines (as long as you don't mine the 1200 baud).

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (06/26/91)

aburt@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu (Andrew Burt) writes:

>In article <1991Jun23.193855.26002@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes:
>>tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>>>I may have an opportunity to buy a few old AT&T dataphones....

>>These modems are very well made and worth the $ 5 - $ 15 they fetch at...

>>I assume that you're talking about the 212A modems, and not a 202 variety.

>On a related note -- we picked up about ten of these, but they have
>a "funky" connector wired to them -- for a PBX I imagine -- about an
>inch thick and 4" long.  Does anyone have a wiring schematic for that
>type of connector so we can tear them off and put a normal DB25 on it?
>--
*----
Are you sure you really have 212 modems?  They sound more like the
"channel interface" boxes.  I think the accessory auto-dialers also
had similar connectors to what you've described.