[comp.dcom.modems] simple connection between fax and fax modem

joseph@milton.u.washington.edu (Joseph Chan) (06/26/91)

From: joseph@milton.u.washington.edu (Joseph Chan)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.fax
Subject: Simple connection between fax and fax modem
I have a standalone fax machine and a fax modem (send/receive at 9600
baud) installed on my 286 machine.  There is no RS232 port on the fax
machine.   I have one phone line at home.   Here is what I am trying
to accomplish (i.e. use the fax machine as a scaner):
1. Connect the fax machine to the fax modem thru a regular modular
cord.
2. Send image from the fax machine to the fax modem over the telephone
cable. (since I have one phone line at home, I can not send the fax
image over the telephone system)
3. Edit and manipulate the image.

One other thing I would like to try (i.e. use the fax machine as
a printer to print image received by the fax modem):
1. Let the fax modem receive the incoming fax message.  Screen the
message by viewing the fax message with the bitcom software.
2. Send the fax image to the fax machine for printing.  (The reason
for this: the Epson 24 header printer is very slow to print out
a fax image, the fax machine can print at less than 30sec per page).

Has any one done some similar thing to this?  Thank you for any
pointer.

Joseph Chan
internet: joseph@milton.u.washington.edu
          joseph@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu