[comp.dcom.modems] Recommendation Needed: High speed modems

neff@bellahs.UUCP (Dan Neff) (06/26/91)

Our company is investigating a high speed modem platform for internal
use and for use by our clients.

The main requirements are:

1) Handles heavy UUCP traffic for email and USENET news, potentially
having some UUCP protocol intelligence.

2) Dialup capability for employees from home, supporting the slower
modem protocols - 1200bps Bell 212a and V.22, 2400bps V.22bis standards.

3) Compatible with the emerging V.32 and V.32bis high speed standards.

4) Built-in callback and password security.

5) Ability to handle a remote X terminal - is 9600+ fast enough or
do we need a TCP/IP intelligent modem?

The three main choices seem to be Telenet Trailblazers, USRobotics and
Hayes. Who has the best market presence? What are peoples experiences
with each brand? Who would best meet our needs? From who would we
get the most for our money? What is a standard price for such modems?

Any input to this request would be greatly appreciated. Please email

Thanks in advance,

	Dan Neff

--
= Dan Neff          		     UUCP:     ...!uunet!bellahs!neff          =
= Bell Atlantic Healthcare Systems   UUCP:     ...!pacbell!bellahs!neff        =

skipm@dorsai.com (Dorsai SysOp) (06/27/91)

neff@bellahs.UUCP (Dan Neff) writes:

> Our company is investigating a high speed modem platform for internal
> use and for use by our clients.

Dan :
        I've seen Hayes, Telebits, PPI's, and USR's. We now have a real
workhorse of a modem I have yet to see fail - Motorola
's CODEX series. I believe the model of the ones we own are 2620, let
me check that. They do 48/96 only, V.32. Jacks for phone, leased line,
dedicated line, and dialup lines on the rear...

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **