[comp.dcom.modems] Can zmodem be used from a Unix box to a BBS on a PC?

carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) (06/21/91)

I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:
a) Another alternative using zmodem is available,
b) A way to finesse the rz/sz limitations is available, possibly by
using a more direct connection to the Sun's modem,
c) Another possibility exists (even kermit!), or
d) I'm SOL.

Any responses appreciated. Thanks.

								Steve
* Steven A Carrow               *      ARPA: carrow@itd.nrl.navy.mil        *
* Code 5570                     *      UUCP: uunet!nrl-css!carrow           *
* Naval Research Lab            *                                           *
* Washington, DC 20375          *      Disclaimer: I can barely speak for   *
* (202) 767-9125                *      myself, much less the government.    *

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/21/91)

carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) writes:

> I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
> on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
> callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:
> a) Another alternative using zmodem is available,
> b) A way to finesse the rz/sz limitations is available, possibly by
> using a more direct connection to the Sun's modem,
> c) Another possibility exists (even kermit!), or

It's probably not what you want (to hear) but I regularly do this
by firing up DOS-based Telix under VP/ix.

I also bought Pro-YAM from Omen Technology (which supplies rz/sz)
and while it isn't what I would call the most user-friendly
interface, it does the job.

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

slee@isis.cs.du.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) (06/21/91)

In article <CARROW.91Jun20232047@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil> carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) writes:

>I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
>on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
>callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:

Thats not entirely true. I call rz and sz from within cu on my hp-ux
box without any problems. I have trouble doing it with my Sun and Xenix box,
but I have been able to use pcomm to call rz and sz and that works fine.
Apparently pcomm is able to redirect the i/o correctly where cu can't.

--
Seng-Poh Lee
slee@isis.cs.du.edu

jsr@dexter.mi.org (Jay S. Rouman) (06/21/91)

In article <CARROW.91Jun20232047@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil> carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) writes:

>I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
>on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
>callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:

Mail to your site bounced.

Kermit works fine on a Sun.  I use it every day, and if you have not
used Kermit lately, you may not realize that when it uses large
packets and sliding windows it is almost as fast as zmodem.  Kermit is
no longer a slouch in the speed department.  Assuming you can ftp, go
to watsun.cc.columbia.edu and cd to ~/kermit/sw.  Then mget ckc* and
cku*.  Rename ckuker.mak to makefile, and "make sunos41" (or whatever
is appropriate for your machine).
--
Jay S. Rouman       Voice: 517/773-7887 | Distrust education.  Two of
              E-mail: jsr@dexter.mi.org | the three R's are misspelled.

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (06/23/91)

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>I also bought Pro-YAM from Omen Technology (which supplies rz/sz)
>and while it isn't what I would call the most user-friendly
>interface, it does the job.

 If you only wanted rz and sz you didn't have to buy Pro-YAM, the UNIX
source for rz, sz, rb and sb (Ymodem and modem7) and rx and sx are
freely available. Easy to compile, too.

 YAM is customizable, it isn't a menu driven interface out of the
box but can be pushed far in that direction if that is what you want
(look at the files in /usr/lib/yam, like phones.t which wants rewritten
anyway). Personally, I like Pro-YAM becuase it isn't menu driven though...
--
\  Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon.uucp)   {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant  /
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation

nanook@eskimo.celestial.com (Robert Dinse) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun21.130809.22536@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, slee@isis.cs.du.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:
| In article <CARROW.91Jun20232047@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil> carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) writes:
| >
| >I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
| >on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
| >callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:
|
| Thats not entirely true. I call rz and sz from within cu on my hp-ux
| box without any problems. I have trouble doing it with my Sun and Xenix box,
| but I have been able to use pcomm to call rz and sz and that works fine.
| Apparently pcomm is able to redirect the i/o correctly where cu can't.

     For what it's worth, Xcomm under Xenix also calls rz/sz fine, I use
it to transfer files from DOS system frequently.

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/24/91)

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>
> >I also bought Pro-YAM from Omen Technology (which supplies rz/sz)
> >and while it isn't what I would call the most user-friendly
> >interface, it does the job.
>
>  If you only wanted rz and sz you didn't have to buy Pro-YAM, the UNIX
> source for rz, sz, rb and sb (Ymodem and modem7) and rx and sx are
> freely available. Easy to compile, too.

True enough, but Pro-YAM has some features that rz, etc. don't. I could
have added them since I have the souce code, but it was easier to just
buy Pro-YAM and link it to rz.

>  YAM is customizable, it isn't a menu driven interface out of the
> box but can be pushed far in that direction if that is what you want
> (look at the files in /usr/lib/yam, like phones.t which wants rewritten
> anyway). Personally, I like Pro-YAM becuase it isn't menu driven though...

But we digress, the reason for the original postting was to say that
you can use Pro-YAM to dialout to a DOS system (while you need to
dialout with something else to be able to use rz....

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (06/24/91)

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>True enough, but Pro-YAM has some features that rz, etc. don't. I could
>have added them since I have the souce code, but it was easier to just
>buy Pro-YAM and link it to rz.

 In the zmodem code you gain the security authorization and the
"Zmodem 90" stuff. Pro-YAM does have an interesting scripting language
though...

>But we digress, the reason for the original postting was to say that
>you can use Pro-YAM to dialout to a DOS system (while you need to
>dialout with something else to be able to use rz....

 You can call out from a DOS system with it to, since there is a DOS
version too. At least the DOS folks aren't completely left out. :-}
--

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (06/25/91)

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

> True enough, but Pro-YAM has some features that rz, etc. don't. I could
> have added them since I have the souce code, but it was easier to just
> buy Pro-YAM and link it to rz.

Why would you need to link it to RZ since Pro-YAM already has
Zmodem built right in?  You'd still need RZ and SZ to send and
receive files from a remote user.

|Ian Justman                     |  Stupid quote:                            |
|6612 Whitsett Drive  (USPSnet)  |  "What can I do?  I already sold the      |
|North Highlands, CA  95660-3830 |  tickets."  --Richie of Kids Incorporated |
|(916) 344-5360       (AT&Tnet)  |___________________________________________|
|UUCP:  ...!{ames | apple | sun }!pacbell_                                   |
|UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac_________|-- !sactoh0!ijpc!ianj             |
|Internet:   Anyone's guess                                                  |

In article <1991Jun21.130809.22536@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> slee@isis.cs.du.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:

>>I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
>>on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
>>callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:

>Thats not entirely true. I call rz and sz from within cu on my hp-ux
>box without any problems. I have trouble doing it with my Sun and Xenix box,
>but I have been able to use pcomm to call rz and sz and that works fine.
>Apparently pcomm is able to redirect the i/o correctly where cu can't.

Most cu's leave a process reading from the remote tty line during the
 ~! and ~$ escapes so you normally can't run file transfer protocols
as a shell escape.  It isn't a matter of redirection, there is just
another process competing for inbound characters.  I've been told that
some versions of cu have a ~+ escape that will stop the reading process
for the duration, but I don't know what machines allow it.  Kermit will
let you use shell escapes for other transfer protocols, but you have
to do your own redirection: "! sz file... </dev/ttynn >/dev/ttynn".

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/25/91)

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>
> >True enough, but Pro-YAM has some features that rz, etc. don't. I could
> >have added them since I have the souce code, but it was easier to just
> >buy Pro-YAM and link it to rz.
>
>  In the zmodem code you gain the security authorization and the
> "Zmodem 90" stuff. Pro-YAM does have an interesting scripting language
> though...
>
> >But we digress, the reason for the original postting was to say that
> >you can use Pro-YAM to dialout to a DOS system (while you need to
> >dialout with something else to be able to use rz....
>
>  You can call out from a DOS system with it to, since there is a DOS
> version too. At least the DOS folks aren't completely left out. :-}

Well, yes, so you "can" but after using something like Procomm or
Telix, I wouldn't really want to myself as Pro-YAM's UI is pretty
rudimentary (by DOS standards).

I've been using Telix for a long time (and have written a lot of
scripts for it (so many that I can't really afford to move to
something else :-). Right now I run Telix 3.12 on my DOS machines
and link to my UNIX machine where Pro-YAM is aliased to rz/sz and
can 1) run a UNIX shell, 2) jump to DOS, 3) move stuff between the
two with z-modem.

[ For those of you who are bit confused, I'm running three hosts:
 Aegis I on an PC-9801 under NECDOS (my own code), Aegis II on a a
 386SX under MS-DOS (waffle), and Aegis IIuu on a 386 under ISC
 v2.2.1 (waffle).

 Plus I run MS-DOS on 286 and a Toshiba Dynabook.  While only the
 9801 and the (Japanese model) Dynabook can display Japanese, all
 the machines can send/receive Japanese.
]

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

nolan@helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) (06/25/91)

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>Most cu's leave a process reading from the remote tty line during the
> ~! and ~$ escapes so you normally can't run file transfer protocols
>as a shell escape.  It isn't a matter of redirection, there is just
>another process competing for inbound characters.  I've been told that
>some versions of cu have a ~+ escape that will stop the reading process
>for the duration, but I don't know what machines allow it.  Kermit will
>let you use shell escapes for other transfer protocols, but you have
>to do your own redirection: "! sz file... </dev/ttynn >/dev/ttynn".

The NCR Tower (in SVR2 at least) has a ~% shell escape, which allows you
to run a protocol, disabling the reading process for the duration.  There
is a defined call to rzsz as ~%takez and ~%putz.  It doesn't work as well
as one might like, though.  LOTS of errors with some remote systems.
-------
Michael Nolan                               This is my .sig
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu             T*His_iS#MY%.SIg oN DrUGs!@%#@%
UUCP:      tssi!nolan                       Any questions?

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (06/25/91)

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) writes:

>> True enough, but Pro-YAM has some features that rz, etc. don't. I could
>> have added them since I have the souce code, but it was easier to just
>> buy Pro-YAM and link it to rz.

>Why would you need to link it to RZ since Pro-YAM already has
>Zmodem built right in?  You'd still need RZ and SZ to send and
>receive files from a remote user.

 No, you would not still need rz and sz to send files to a remote user.
The reason he said link is that link is cheaper than copy, but copy
will work. Make a copy of yam and call it sz. Surprise, it is now sz
and works as such. It takes advantage of the first argument being the
program name itself and uses that to determine how it will behave.
The advantage of using Pro-YAM for this is that the extra features that
aren't in the normal distribution (like Zmodem compression) ARE in the
Pro-YAM program.
--

bminnebo@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brian P. Minnebo) (06/26/91)

In article <nolan.677820344@helios> nolan@helios.unl.edu writes:

>The NCR Tower (in SVR2 at least) has a ~% shell escape, which allows you
>to run a protocol, disabling the reading process for the duration.  There
>is a defined call to rzsz as ~%takez and ~%putz.  It doesn't work as well
>as one might like, though.  LOTS of errors with some remote systems.

The Tower (SVR3 at least) also has a ~? which is a general case for
~%takez/putz.  This allows you to give the actual arguments you
want for rz/sz (or some other protocol for that matter).

>Michael Nolan                               This is my .sig

Brian,
--
Brian Minnebo  (Chrysler Motors MIS Tech Services)
Oakland University:   bminnebo@vela.acs.oakland.edu

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/26/91)

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) writes:

> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>
> > True enough, but Pro-YAM has some features that rz, etc. don't. I could
> > have added them since I have the souce code, but it was easier to just
> > buy Pro-YAM and link it to rz.
>
> Why would you need to link it to RZ since Pro-YAM already has
> Zmodem built right in?  You'd still need RZ and SZ to send and
> receive files from a remote user.

I guess that must have made sense to you or you wouldn't have
written it but I can't make head nor tails of it <sigh>.

Let me try again: Pro-YAM is linked to rz/rb/rz/sz/rb/sx which
means it functions as those programs. I don't "still" need RZ/SZ,
Pro-YAM is them.

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

gix@MDI.COM (Brian Gix) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun21.130809.22536@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> slee@isis.cs.du.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:
>In article <CARROW.91Jun20232047@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil> carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) writes:
>>
>>I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
>>on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
>>callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:
>
>Thats not entirely true. I call rz and sz from within cu on my hp-ux
>box without any problems. I have trouble doing it with my Sun and Xenix box,
>but I have been able to use pcomm to call rz and sz and that works fine.
>Apparently pcomm is able to redirect the i/o correctly where cu can't.

I have been able to successfully rz/sz over a tip link from a sun...  It was
without a modem (a straight rs232 connection) but I don't think it would be
a problem as long as your running in 8-bit mode.  I did it using the
~C "connect program to remote host" escape, which connects stdin & stdout
of whatever command you call to the port.

I did this with minimal problems...

--Brian Gix
gix@mdi.com

| Brian Gix                     | gix@mdi.com          gixb@jacobs.cs.orst.edu |
| Motorola - MDD                | gix@nwnexus.wa.com   ...!uunet!mdisea!gix    |
| Bothell, WA 98011 USA         | AmOnline: GIX        Phone: (206) 487-5894   |

darrell@eeocdt.UUCP (Darrell Tschakert) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun24.215626.9705@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.130809.22536@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> slee@isis.cs.du.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:

>>>I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
>>>on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
>>>callable from within tip or cu. What I'd like to know is whether:
>
>>Thats not entirely true. ... ...
>
>Most cu's leave a process reading from the remote tty line during the
> ~! and ~$ escapes so you normally can't run file transfer protocols
>as a shell escape.  ... ...

The NCR Tower 600's with OS 2.00.00 has a nice added feature along
the lines of what you are discussing here.
While in cu you can enter ~putz, ~takez, ~takex, ~putx, ~dnld, and
the putz, takez, putx, and takex work with rz and sz on the other end.

These functions work quite well and are very usefull. Prior to <tilde>putz
I had to <tilde>put the file and then sum both the origional and the copy
to see if I got across OK. Now  I am confident that it always gets accross.
the ...z functions work with binary files just as well as ascii. This
really makes updating individual field offices a snap.

Darrell Tschakert	uunet!eeocdt!darrell

.

otto@palikka.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (06/28/91)

In article <CARROW.91Jun20232047@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil> carrow@cmsun.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Steven Carrow) writes:
>I simply want to upload/download files from a Unix box (Sun) to a BBS
>on a PC using zmodem. I know about rz and sz and that they are not
>callable from within tip or cu.

Well, the tilde escape C on the SunOS tip has always worked for me.
So you just use tip normally until you start a transmit/recieve program
on the other host (BBS) and then simply ~C and enter your rz/sz command
line.  Works like a charm, though the performance of the tty driver on
SunOS 4.1.1 is rather bad with any load (even a 19.2k modem tends to choke).
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */