[comp.dcom.modems] T1600 with Interactive 2.2

aa609@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Zbig Tyrlik) (06/27/91)

Hello netters,
could someone point me where can I get (or who is willing to send me)
the following hints:

1) gettydefs for Telebit T1600 modem;
	I am loking for fixing DTE rate at 19.2/38.4 k

2) Dialers for T1600;

3) line for inittab for T1600 hooked to com1 for dialin and out;

4) settings for T1600 to work with isc 2.2 at fixed speed....

so far I can get it working with default configuration for BSD-UUCP (AT&F4),
and using TB8_19200 in inittab;
also how to set it to use hardware handshaking?

5) Where can I get serial card for 2-4 serial ports with 16550? I have
card with 2 ports, but only second have socketed UART - the first one is
soldered...

(Sorry if above is very simple - I am slowly learning about UN*X).

PS: I checked Telebit BBS - everything there is about TELEBIT modems -
I assume Trailblazers, but what we with T1600 have to do? Maybe someone
in TELEBIT support will glue together a kind of FAQ or update files about
using TELEBIT modems with UN*X, especially if docs for T1600 are offering
one preconfigured setup for HDB UUCP (Interactive 2.2 - BNU), and Tech rep
recommended me using settings for BSD-UUCP.....

Respond to:
aa609@cleveland.freenet.edu   or:            zbig@ncoast.org
also: 						  ncoast!zbig

Zbigniew Tyrlik

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/29/91)

aa609@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Zbig Tyrlik) writes:

aa609@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Zbig Tyrlik) writes:

> Hello netters,
> could someone point me where can I get (or who is willing to send me)
> the following hints:

[* 6 questions deleted *]

> (Sorry if above is very simple - I am slowly learning about UN*X).

Sorry, but my experience suggests that first thing you need to
learn is that those are not simple questions but never ending
projects. If take the time to read this newsgroup for a while
you'll begin to see what I mean....

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (06/30/91)

In article <9106270117.AA27484@cwns6.INS.CWRU.Edu> aa609@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>1) gettydefs for Telebit T1600 modem;
>	I am loking for fixing DTE rate at 19.2/38.4 k

I haven't used Interactive yet, so I can't post any details.  Doesn't
the operating system come with default gettydefs entries for the various
speeds?  The default entries for 19200 or 38400 would be a good place to
start, usually the only thing that needs tweaking is hardware flow control.

>2) Dialers for T1600;

The Dialers script may need to set different register settings for dialing
different sites, and whether you're making a uucp call or a cu call.

No single Dialers file script can meet all your needs.  The best thing to
do is call Telebit Tech Support.  Tech support can give you advice on which
register settings may be necessary for the different types of calls you're
going to make.  However, here are a few examples that may get you started.
They assume you're using the &F3 or &F4 defaults:

# t16gen: General-purpose dialer script for use with cu.  This script sets
# XON/XOFF flow control in the modem and enables the +++ escape sequence.
t16gen  =W-,  "" ATE1X1S2=43S59=7S58=3S68=255\r\c OK ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

# t16uu: General-purpose dialer script for use with uucp.  This script just
# makes the modem transparent to data.  Protocol support is not enabled.
t16uu  =W-,  "" ATX1S59=7S58=0\r\c OK ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

# t16uucp: Special dialer script to enable UUCP protocol support.  Just in
# case protocol support is not negotiated, it makes the modem transparent.
t16uucp  =W-,  "" ATX1S59=7S58=0S111=30S180=3\r\c OK ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

# t16noec: Special dialer script to disable error correction.  For use
# with hosts that don't have EC modems, and barf when an EC modem dials in.
t16noec  =W-,  "" ATX1S59=7S180=0\r\c OK ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

>3) line for inittab for T1600 hooked to com1 for dialin and out;

Doesn't your operating system have an example of a uugetty entry in the
inittab file?  Is there a setup utility that will create the uugetty
entry in inittab for dialin/dialout?

>4) settings for T1600 to work with isc 2.2 at fixed speed....

Set S181=1.  The setting of S51 will determine which speed the modem will
use.  I recommend either S51=254 or S51=253.  These "autobaud" settings
will let you dial out at any speed, while using 19200 bps (S51=254), or
38400 bps (S51=253) on dial-in.

As long as S181=1 the speed will remain locked, and as long as you have
&D3, the modem will autobaud after every call, allowing you to dial out
at different speeds without trouble.

>so far I can get it working with default configuration for BSD-UUCP (AT&F4),
>and using TB8_19200 in inittab;
>also how to set it to use hardware handshaking?

Have you checked the S58 and S68 registers in your manual?

>aa609@cleveland.freenet.edu   or:            zbig@ncoast.org

--
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |