[comp.dcom.modems] 9600 baud modems

jbrandt@nyx.UUCP (joe brandt) (05/31/90)

Does anybody have any info on how often 9600 baud modems use their
fallback mode on normal dialup lines? I have heard that "commercial"
grade lines dont have the bandwidth or 'quality' for these modems to
reliably operate at full speed. Am I wasting my money on these modems?

Joe Brandt (brandt@sal.den.mmc.com direct email)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/18/91)

In article <13483@pt.cs.cmu.edu> rab@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Robert Brennan)
writes:
> I am looking for a new pair of 9600 baud modems.  I have been using two
> Trailblazers very successfully but we need to purchase additional modems.
> They need to be as reliable and as fast, even faster if possible, than
> the Trailblazers, work reliably with SLIP and ideally have fax capabilities.
> (I am not even sure there are 9600 baud modems with fax capabilities, but it
> would be nice.)
> So, is the Trailblazer still the way to go or are there others that are
> better?

  Why not get a T1600 which is going to be upgraded to T1600 which is going
to be upgraded to v32bis real soon now, or the T2500 which has v32 but
no promise of an upgrade. I use a T2500 and am pretty happy with it.
Telebit tech support is the tops, though. :-)

    - jiro nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com

ps. Why did you post this to comp.sys.next only?
pps. No financial connections to Telebit except as a customer.
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/19/91)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

>  Why not get a T1600 which is going to be upgraded to T1600 which is going
>to be upgraded to v32bis real soon now, or the T2500 which has v32 but

why  even wait on Telebit when other vendors have been shipping v.32bis
now for 6 months?

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.171256.2393@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>
>>  Why not get a T1600 which is going to be upgraded to T1600 which is going
>>to be upgraded to v32bis real soon now, or the T2500 which has v32 but
>
>why  even wait on Telebit when other vendors have been shipping v.32bis
>now for 6 months?
>
>--
>      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
>                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis
>                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator
>               {larry@nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!larry}

Larry's right! I've done some shopping around and found the US Robotics
Courier V.32bis to be a damn good deal for a high end (and extremely reliable)
modem. It is compatible with more V.32 and V.32bis modems than other brands
which I've evaluated (ATI, Microcom). The pricing is quite competitive too.
For example, I am selling the USR Courier V.32bis external modem for less than
$700 (Canadian), and I am sure mail order sources in the US sell it for even
lower price.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

--
Joseph Chin                         Wordcraft Systems Corporation
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca           201-434 West 12th Avenue

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.185025.21642@wimsey.bc.ca>
jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:

>Larry's right! I've done some shopping around and found the US Robotics
>Courier V.32bis to be a damn good deal for a high end (and extremely reliable)
>modem. It is compatible with more V.32 and V.32bis modems than other brands
>which I've evaluated (ATI, Microcom). The pricing is quite competitive too.
>For example, I am selling the USR Courier V.32bis external modem for less than
>$700 (Canadian), and I am sure mail order sources in the US sell it for even
>lower price.

I bought a MultiTech V32 for $551.  Haven't hooked to it the
NeXT yet, but will in the next couple days, as I just picked
up a cable today.

I've been using this modem for some months now, though, to
call our Vaxes (9600 Reliable Compressed is a great thing
to see after connecting!).

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

perstoro@netmbx.UUCP (Wilhelm Schaefer) (06/19/91)

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>I bought a MultiTech V32 for $551.  Haven't hooked to it the
>NeXT yet, but will in the next couple days, as I just picked
>up a cable today.

>I've been using this modem for some months now, though, to
>call our Vaxes (9600 Reliable Compressed is a great thing
>to see after connecting!).

Hmm - must be real good.
Is it possible to get one of these over here. (to germany)
In other words. May I order the modem by e-mail, or is there an other
way to get it?

Thanks a lot
and
so long

	       -- --- good old perstoro --- --

perstoro@netmbx.in-berlin.de
ufa06@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de

smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) (06/30/91)

writes:
> I am looking for a new pair of 9600 baud modems.  I have been using two
> Trailblazers very successfully but we need to purchase additional modems.

I must put in a vote for Trailblazer here.  I have an old trailblazer plus
which Telebit has upgraded twice for free (Yoiks!).  These people have been
the some of the most knowlegeable and conscientious technical support
folks I've ever encountered.

No connection with Telebit other than as a recipient of the new ROMs which
upgrade my Trailblazer to V.42bis.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #             "Two's bifurcation                  #

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (06/30/91)

smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>In article <13483@pt.cs.cmu.edu> rab@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Robert Brennan)
>writes:
>> I am looking for a new pair of 9600 baud modems.  I have been using two
>> Trailblazers very successfully but we need to purchase additional modems.

>I must put in a vote for Trailblazer here.

I concur.  Telebit Tech support is far and away better than that of any
other company I've dealt with.  Telebit manuals are the best I've seen.
And they stand behind their product; I've received a free replacement
power supply for my out-of-warranty T1000, and am right now testing a
free ROM upgrade for one of our Trailblazers (needed because of their
change to PEP).  Companies like Telebit deserve to be supported.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                       +1 606 257 2975

hartzell@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU (George Hartzell) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun30.024722.18414@ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu
(Kenneth Herron) writes:
   smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) writes:

   >In article <13483@pt.cs.cmu.edu> rab@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Robert Brennan)
   >writes:
   >> I am looking for a new pair of 9600 baud modems.  I have been using two
   >> Trailblazers very successfully but we need to purchase additional modems.

   >I must put in a vote for Trailblazer here.

   I concur.  Telebit Tech support is far and away better than that of any
   other company I've dealt with.  Telebit manuals are the best I've seen.
   And they stand behind their product; I've received a free replacement
   power supply for my out-of-warranty T1000, and am right now testing a
   free ROM upgrade for one of our Trailblazers (needed because of their
   change to PEP).  Companies like Telebit deserve to be supported.

[This is part of an ongoing discussion.  Before going with Telebit
based on past performance, go back and skim this thread.  Pay
attention to Marty's (likier@telebit.com) article about Telebit's
diversification and allocation of scarce resources to non-modem
projects.]

It is sentiment like this that encouraged me to buy my T1600's.  Based
on their past performance I figured I wouldn't have to dig too deep
when the time came to upgrade the newly designed T1600 to the V.32bis
standard.  I am quite disturbed by the news that this upgrade will
cost ~$250.  Apparently the engineers designing the T1600 did not give
it (or maybe management chose to not have them give it, who knows...)
enough muscle to do V.32bis, so a hardware swap is necessary.

I wonder what that hardware *really* cost Telebit.  Not including
development costs, advertising, support, etc...  I agree that these
things need to be recovered, but I already paid for that when I bought
the modem the first time around.  The thought that they might be using
this as an opportunity to make money on me twice only makes me feel
more like I made a mistake.

One was to summarize my feelings on this matter is that I never
intended to buy a V.32 modem, I was shopping for a V.32bis modem.  I
was willing to consider vendors who didn't quite have their V.32bis
modem out yet, but only those whose product might be "worth the wait"
and whose past performance suggested that the upgrade path wouldn't be
too traumatic.

Like I said in a previous article, I'm going to sit tight until the
upgrade is really available and all the facts are in before I decide
once and for all whether or not I made a mistake.  I'm not too
optimistic though; it appears that the outcome is going to be that I
could have three V.32bis modems with 6 months time in the field for
the price my two Telebits.  Loyalty can be quite expensive...

g.

--
George Hartzell                        voice: (415) 725-7421
Stanford Yeast Genome Project          fax:   (415)-723-7016