[comp.terminals] Termcap entry for blit

tky@briar.UUCP (Kin Yum) (01/07/87)

Does anyone in the netland has a termcap entry for a blit terminal that
works under Berkeley Unix versions 4.2 or 4.3 ? Any help or pointer
will be greatly appreciated.

In article <604@briar.UUCP> tky@briar.philips.com.UUCP (Tak-Kin Yum) writes:
>Does anyone in the netland has a termcap entry for a blit terminal that
>works under Berkeley Unix versions 4.2 or 4.3 ?

Ahem, a DMD is not a Blit..
I just posted a 5620 termcap to this newsgroup.  If you don't see
it soon, send me mail <Gwyn@BRL.ARPA>.

tky@briar.UUCP (Kin Yum) (01/12/87)

	Thanks for all the replies.  I tried various termcap entries
for a dmd 5620 terminal; they (including my original one) all show the
same symptom that annoys me when I use (Gnu) emacs version 17.  The
problem is that when I type control-p (or control-n) at the beginning
(or at the end ) of a screen, the new display will miss serveral
lines.  The new screen can be restored by typing control-l.  The
termcap otherwise is working properly.

	I think the problem may be due to the speed of the terminal.
Originally, I set my terminal speed to 19200 when using some layer
program.  Everything was working fine. Lately, I cannot use the layer
program anymore and started using the 5620 as a regular terminal.
While keeping the terminal speed at 19200, I found that a few lines
would be missing from the output of commands such as "ls", "cat".
After changing some setup parameters, I realized that if I reduce the
terminal speed the situation will be improved.  The line missing
problem can be removed completed ( including the case in the emacs
editor ), if the terminal is set to 2400.  But 2400, I think, is just
too slow for a 70 line terminal.

	I will be very satisfied if the line missing problem can be
remedied at a speed 4800 or 9600.  In the mean time, I just type
control-l whenever is needed.

	Does anyone encounter the similar problem like this with 5620
terminals ? Any good remedy for the problem ?

Assuming you're still having trouble with flow control
after you've set up the modes on your 5620 as specified
in the comments at the beginning of the termcap I posted,
your problem is very likely that you have an older model
5620 and have not supplied all the correct handshaking
signals on its RS-232-C host connector.  For reasons
unknown to me, flow control doesn't work right under
those circumstances (no, it doesn't make any sense!).