[comp.terminals] Encore Annex terminal servers

lipton@halleys.UUCP (03/26/87)

We have an Encore Annex terminal server operating under UNIX.  It has
an annoying trait in that it is very slow in recognizing interrupts (viz.
control-C).  When for some reason a program is dumping garbage on my screen,
I usually have to sit through quite a bit more garbage before my interrupt
gets through to the VAX.  In fact, in most cases (e.g. if I mistakenly cat
a binary file) the program either finishes or hangs the terminal before
the interrupt is recognized.  Is there some parameter that is set wrong,
or is this something we just have to live with?

Gary Lipton
Massachusetts Microelectronics Center
lipton@m2c.org   		(CSNET and Internet with MX support)
lipton%m2c.org@relay.cs.net	(Internet)
{harvard,bu-cs,frog,ulowell}!halleys!lipton	(UUCP)

joe@auspyr.UUCP (03/26/87)

in article <137@halleys.UUCP>, lipton@halleys.UUCP (Gary Lipton) says:

> We have an Encore Annex terminal server operating under UNIX.  It has
> an annoying trait in that it is very slow in recognizing interrupts (viz.
> control-C).  When for some reason a program is dumping garbage on my screen,
> I usually have to sit through quite a bit more garbage before my interrupt
> gets threw...

I've noticed this problem as well, but there is a parameter called
"forwarding-timer" and is set via /etc/na. It helps a bit. Actually,
if you really play with the parameters, you'll be in for alot of surprises;
running at 38.4kb is handled very nicely.  (I don't recall the settings
since, at this exact moment, we are getting a CPU upgrade. An even faster
machine????!??! 20 MIPS was just fine by me ...)

Anyone else out there have an Encore Multimax? I think they are wonderful
machines ... Ain't // processing just great?

AT&T: Take a good look at Encore!! I'd like to see some of thier //
processing implementations breed into other Unixes! ...One Day...

--
"No matter      Joe Angelo, Sr. Sys. Engineer @ Austec, Inc., San Jose, CA.
where you go,   ARPA: aussjo!joe@lll-tis-b.arpa       PHONE: [408] 279-5533

dave@rosevax.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <137@halleys.UUCP> lipton@halleys.UUCP (Gary Lipton) writes:
>We have an Encore Annex terminal server operating under UNIX.  It has
>an annoying trait in that it is very slow in recognizing interrupts (viz.
>control-C).

Bridge terminal servers have the same problem.  Anybody out there know of
something to help a Bridge overcome this problem?
--
Dave Marquardt			New mail: dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM
Rosemount, Inc.			Old mail: {cbosgd,ihnp4,uiucdcs}!rosevax!dave