[comp.terminals] tek 4015

davidra@batcomputer.UUCP (04/05/87)

The X window system provides terminal emulation for a VT102 and
a tektronix 4015.  There are two problems.  First, I don't know
anything about a tek 4015; it seems NOT to be a standard (e.g.,
4012, 4014) tektronix, since it turns the output of the UNIX
"tek" filter into garbage instead of graphics.  Does anyone
have either a modification of "tek" that will support tek 4015
control sequences or a list of tek4015 escape codes?  Second, at least
on the IBM RT-PC (BSD 4.2, IBM 6155 console) on which I have X,
the VT102 emulation breaks for a window with more than 24 lines:
the delete-line code seems not to work (to reproduce, make a window
with more than 24 lines, make sure the environment TERMCAP entry
has been updated with xsize, and run a vi in the window.  Try to
delete a line somewhere in the middle).

				Thanks for any help,
				davidra@lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu

bobr@zeus.UUCP (04/06/87)

A Tek 4015 is just a 4014 with an APL keyboard and a characer ROM which
supports APL characters.  Why the X window system would support such an
obscure Tek terminal for emulation is beyond me.  Are you sure it isn't a
Tek 4105 (a small 640x480x3 color terminal) or a Tek 4115, another
mainstream Tek color terminal?  (I would be surprised to see 4115 emulation,
since it requires an incredible number of environment calls to support
features other than the basic graphics.)
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

ferg@opus.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <612@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, davidra@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Penguin ) writes:
> Second, at least
> on the IBM RT-PC (BSD 4.2, IBM 6155 console) on which I have X,
> the VT102 emulation breaks for a window with more than 24 lines:
> the delete-line code seems not to work (to reproduce, make a window
> with more than 24 lines, make sure the environment TERMCAP entry
> has been updated with xsize, and run a vi in the window.  Try to
> delete a line somewhere in the middle).

This is a bug in vi (version 3.7 included with 4.2bsd).  If the terminal has
scroll regions defined, then it tries to delete lines from the screen by:
	- setting the scroll region to the first line to be deleted,
	  and the end-of-screen.
	- moving the cursor to line 24.
	- performing one line-feed for each line to be deleted.
The problem can be fixed by replacing the constant "24" with the variable
containing the number of lines on the screen.

An alternative work-around, remove the scroll region stuff from the termcap
defination for xterm (the cs capability).

David Ferguson
NBI, Inc.
Boulder, Colorado
ferg@nbires.UUCP