[comp.terminals] Facit

mats@forbrk.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) (05/06/87)

In article <825@f103a.UUCP> love@f103a.UUCP (Love Feuer) writes:
>I'm working with a Facit Twist terminal, that at a first glare may look
>like any other terminal on the market.
>But you may actually twist the terminal screen and get 72*80 characters
... ... ...
>   sold by Ericson, that took over the Facit Corp. a few yers ago, and
>   Ericson is a multinational thing. But I still haven't seen the Twist
>   terminal in any other country than my own (== Sweden).

Was available from Facit in the U.S. two or more years ago - I have
one and it is at the top of the list among my "favorite" terminals.  Most
everyone I have shown it to hates the keyboard (which I love), because
it has less key travel than most available in the US (but I think it is
in line with the rather stringent German standards, or so I was told by
the Facit salesman). It is my understanding that the terminal was actually
designed as a joint effort between Facit and Datamedia, and is (was)
available from Datamedia (if they still exist).  This is the ONLY
terminal (as opposed to bit-mapped display) that I have worked with that
can comfortably be used in inverse video, especially with the white
phosphor (in other words, black letters on white background).

/mats wichmann,		Fortune Systems (Berkeley)

sbg@f109a.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <317@forbrk.UUCP> mats@forbrk.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) writes:
>In article <825@f103a.UUCP> love@f103a.UUCP (Love Feuer) writes:
>>I'm working with a Facit Twist terminal, that at a first glare may look
>>like any other terminal on the market.
>... ... ...
>>   Ericson is a multinational thing. But I still haven't seen the Twist
>>   terminal in any other country than my own (== Sweden).
>>
>...This is the ONLY
>terminal (as opposed to bit-mapped display) that I have worked with that
>can comfortably be used in inverse video, especially with the white
>phosphor (in other words, black letters on white background).

At the Swedish Defense Computer Central User Support Center (whew! :-), where
I for the time being happen to be working, the Facit Twist is the standard
terminal we supply with the systems. People usually like the Twist, since it
has large and nice letters. But: After a couple of years, the screen fades. It
doesn't help opening (gasp!) the terminal and frobnicating the brigthness-knob.
I don't know if this is a result of the flouroscent stuff in the ray-tube going
stale, or what, but we get a lot of telephone calls from people who wonder why
their terminal is so dark. This problem occurs even faster (~1 year) if people
use the black-on-white text, and forget to setup the Twist with the screen-
saving option. The screen-saver helps a little, but to really save the screen
you've got to turn the terminal off completely.

BTW, I have noticed that people who use the black-on-white style setup with the
Twist usually are nicely tanned in the face. Probably a total coincidence.
 | UUCP: sbg@f109a.UUCP or                                                    |
 |       {seismo,mcvax,cernvax,diku,ircam,prlb2,tut,ukc,unido}!enea!f109a!sbg |
 | ARPA: D84.S-B-Grinneby%CARMEN.UPPSALA.SE@SEISMO.CSS.GOV                    |
 +-------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------------------------+
 |      . .       . .       . .       . .       . .   * Bladesong             |
 |     .   .     .   .     .   .     .   .     .   . *  Nedre Slottsg. 16:305 |
 |.   .     .   .     .   .     .   .     .   .     *   752 20 UPPSALA        |
 | . .       . .       . .       . .       . .       *  SWEDEN                |
 +--+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------------------------------+

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (05/20/87)

I am not convinced that there is a good terminal, from my standpoint.  The
various terminals have all sorts of features, but I would give them all up
for a terminal with an easily modified, easily up- and downloaded dumb terminal
on which I can put an arbitrary character set.  I would like to use all 8 bits.
I would prefer more than 24 lines, but I consider this secondary.

If you know of any of these, please let me know by email.  I will be
unavailable until June 8.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu or pur-ee!stat-l!cik or hrubin@purccvm.bitnet