From mordor!lll-lcc!pyramid!voder!apple!aek Mon Mar  2 10:04:49 PST 1987
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: Wanted: information about X "terminals"
Date: 1 Mar 87 18:26:08 GMT

In article <2464@sequent.UUCP>, michael@sequent.UUCP (Michael Squires) writes:
> I have heard speculation, both on the net and in person, about the
> potential for X "terminals" - that is, a HW/SW product which would
> perform as a display server for X "right out of the box." Does
> anyone have any concrete information about such beasties? I'm
> interested in expected availability, cost, features, communications
> mechanism (ether? rs232?), etc.

AED in Sunnyvale is building a two-board graphics display for VME and
Qbus systems that directly supports the X V10 protocol. It has a 68020
processor running a message-based multitasking kernel in prom that knows
about X, VT100 and TEK4125 protocols. The display processor board has a
resolution of 1280 * 1024 * 8

The boards are just going into beta test, but i've seen one work and it
looks pretty neat..

AED
440 Potrero Ave
Sunnyvale, CA