[comp.terminals] more cit-101

aad#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Anthony A. Datri) (06/01/87)

Okay, I've got a cit-101 manual here, but it seems real vague about things.
Does the presence of a printer connector on the back imply that it actually
has a working printer port?  I pulled out the board, and there don't seem to
be any gaping holes where another uart would go.  The only free spots are
several for chips of around 14 pins.

TI sure made a strange port on their omni 800 printers...

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (06/01/87)

	actually, it is a fully bi-directional auxiliary port. I used to have
one computer hooked to the comm port, another to the aux port and by using a
simple shift-function key command, could watch for output from both computers
simultaneously and shift the keyboard to each with a single keystroke..

-ed

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (06/02/87)

Moreover, the manual says that I'll get a D screen for setup with the port
there, but i only get a, b, and c

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/04/87)

In article <AUkStGy00WABwZI0Bj@andrew.cmu.edu> aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> Moreover, the manual says that I'll get a D screen for setup with the port
> there, but i only get a, b, and c

	I don't know if this holds for the plain 101, but there's an
(undocumented, I think) feature in the 101e which disables the printer
port, and the D setup screen along with it.  I think it involves hitting
control-x while in setup mode, but I can't seem to reproduce it.
Supposedly, this speeds the terminal up a bit because it doesn't bother
polling the printer port.

	The 101e's a very nice terminals in many ways -- nice keyboard,
easy to read screen, sleek styling, fancy bi-directional auxiliuary port.
Unfortunately, they also have a bug in them which makes them jump into
smooth scrool mode all by themselves at random times;  makes them a *real*
bitch to use sometimes.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (06/05/87)

You, sir, are a god.  It worked.  God only knows why it was like that in the
first place...

vince@mplvax (Vince Pavlicek) (06/05/87)

They sold them for less without a working printer port, and charged
a bit more to type those characters and enable hardware that was there
anyway. Pretty amazing.

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (06/05/87)

's funny, they all (and we have 20+) ship that way, seems in some places they
charge extra for the aux port and only enable it as an option.....weird...

-ed

kuo@skatter.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <AUkStGy00WABwZI0Bj@andrew.cmu.edu>, aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> Moreover, the manual says that I'll get a D screen for setup with the port
> there, but i only get a, b, and c

I think that implies you don't have a printer port installed. I use to use a
CIT-101 with their graphics card (that emulates TEK4010). It is highly possible
that the connector is there but not the actual hardware (ie chips etc). In my
personal opinion, the CIT-101 was not very reliable; it died on me too many
times, even right after coming back from repairs!

... Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.