[comp.terminals] wyse 60 experience requested

allyn@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Allyn Fratkin) (07/16/87)

i'd like to hear from users of the wyse 60 what they think of it.

i understand that it has lots of emulation modes and has a IBM PC/AT
style keyboard available for it (no flames please, it's what i'm
used to).

i heard some rumors when it first came out that it was not fast enough to
keep up with 9600 baud output without flow control.  is that still
the case?

is it a good terminal?

thanks in advance.
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    or
                          EMU Project              {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) (07/17/87)

In article <3468@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, allyn@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Allyn Fratkin) writes:
> i'd like to hear from users of the wyse 60 what they think of it.

> i understand that it has lots of emulation modes and has a IBM PC/AT
> style keyboard available for it (no flames please, it's what i'm
> used to).

	To get to all the whizzy features, you need to use native mode,
	and native mode has the unfortunate feature of having nearly
	all control codes bounds to really nasty functions. For example,
	the terminal initialization sequence for a Wyse75 causes a
	Wyse60 to lock its keyboard.

> i heard some rumors when it first came out that it was not fast enough to
> keep up with 9600 baud output without flow control.  is that still
> the case?

	It needs lots of padding at 19200. I don't use 9600 baud.

> is it a good terminal?

	Well, it's cheap, and for the price, it gets you 43 lines x 132
	columns, with real underlining and inverse video. But the feature
	I miss the most is ANSI/VT100 compatibility, particularly in that
	the number pad can't be set up to send useful escape sequences.
	The default fonts are awful for 43x132 mode, but better ones can be
	downloaded.

--
Craig Hansen
Manager, Architecture Development

dc@sdd.UUCP (Daniel Corbett) (07/21/87)

	The latest version of the wyse 60 terminals has WY75, VT52, & VT100
emulations in addition to the ones it already had!  But, it is still as
slow as it was before....  I utilize the terminal with handshaking at
38,400 baud, and run into a problem where when the i/o to the terminal
is at maximum rate, it ignores the keyboard (it's polled!).

	The fastest wyse terminal that I have used is the Wyse350, which is
a wyse50 with color.

	I'd be interested in any downloaded fonts for the Wy60... I frequently
utilize it in the 43 line, 132 column mode....

						Daniel Corbett

loverso@sunybcs.UUCP (07/21/87)

> i understand that it [Wyse 60] ... has a IBM PC/AT style keyboard available

You can get a number of different keyboards for it - including a PC-style one

> i heard some rumors when it first came out that it was not fast enough to
> keep up with 9600 baud output without flow control.  is that still the case?

I had one on demo after it came out.  I could barely keep up at 9600 baud,
and at 19200 baud you needed so much padding that curses-intensive applications
looked like they were running at 9600 baud.  At either speed, the output
from `yes' was enough to give all the terminal's processing time to video
updating, effectively locking out the keyboard.  At 19200, outputing 16 chars
and then a CR would have the same effect.  My Wyse 75 doesn't have these
problems.

> Well, it's cheap, and for the price, it gets you 43 lines x 132
> columns, with real underlining and inverse video. But the feature
> I miss the most is ANSI/VT100 compatibility, particularly in that
> the number pad can't be set up to send useful escape sequences.
> The default fonts are awful for 43x132 mode, but better ones can be
> downloaded.

Actually, since Wyse discontinued the Wyse75, they've added an ANSI/VT100
compatibility mode to the Wyse60.  I think you can get new proms to upgrade
an older 60.  I have been planning on getting a newer one for demo to
see if they've fixed the speed problems.  I just can't see using a terminal
that can barely support 9600 baud (I like 19200 or 38400).  I had the
same problem with the HDS2000 - its a *great* terminal with nice features,
but it has the same speed problems as the Wyse60.

John

eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (07/22/87)

	As several people have said, there is a new PROM set for the Wyse 60
to provide true VT100 compatability. Seems to work with all the vt100
specific applications that we have.

	We regularly use our Wyse 60s at 9600, and mine is set to 19.2K.
We do have the flow control handshaking enabled, however. The only problem
that we have encountered is that user flow control (trying to hit ^S or
another interrupt character) while there is lots of data coming to the
screen often doesn't work. Our PC terminal emulators have the same problem.
(Its not the machine, our Wyse 50 works correctly on the same ports.)

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (07/26/87)

In article <3468@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> allyn@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Allyn Fratkin) writes:
>i'd like to hear from users of the wyse 60 what they think of it.

Basically, I like it.

>i understand that it has lots of emulation modes and has a IBM PC/AT
>style keyboard available for it (no flames please, it's what i'm
>used to).

All of its emulation modes are based on televideo 920 family
terminals, 925, 950, 955, etc as well as some other stupid terminals.
No ansii.  also, most non-alpha keys are reprogrammable, with the
exception of the keypad which never is.

>i heard some rumors when it first came out that it was not fast enough to
>keep up with 9600 baud output without flow control.  is that still
>the case?

It is the case with the one I am typing on now.

>is it a good terminal?

I'd be hard pressed between this and a used tvi970.  the wyse60 has a
cleaner display as well as 43x132, 43x80, 25x80, and 25x132 modes but
I miss the keypad and the ansii control sequences.

xoxorich.

jmg@dolphy.UUCP (Jeffrey Greenberg) (07/27/87)

> >i heard some rumors when it first came out that it was not fast enough to
> >keep up with 9600 baud output without flow control.  is that still
> >the case?
>
> It is the case with the one I am typing on now.
>
> >is it a good terminal?

We are using one at 19.6kb and are buying 10? for an installation.

The terminal works... It also has some cute features: a stand that will
raise it up to eyelevel... Something called WyseWorks, a set up
pop-up utilities: calculator, ascii display, and some other minor
though helpful stuff.

jgp@moscom.UUCP (Jim Prescott) (08/06/87)

In article <236@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>All of its emulation modes are based on televideo 920 family terminals,
>925, 950, 955, etc as well as some other stupid terminals.  No ansii.

All wyse60s are not created equal!  We have 2 wyse60s with the same
model number (WY-60-01-01) that have different roms.  The emulations
present in both are:
	wy60, wy50+, tvi910+, tvi912/920, tvi925, tvi950, tvi955, pc term,
	adds a2, adds vp60, hz 1500, dg 200, dg 210, adm-31, ibm 3101-1x,
	ibm 3101-2x.
The newer one also has:
	ibm 3161, wy75, vt52, vt100
The older one has "at term" which the newer lacks.

I don't know if both are being made and sold for different prices or
if there are just some old ones about.  If you want or need the vt100
emulation make sure the wy60 you get has it (or find out if you can
get an upgrade from wyse).
--
Jim Prescott	seismo!rochester!moscom!jgp or moscom!jgp@cs.rochester.edu

eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (08/06/87)

In article <1031@moscom.UUCP>, jgp@moscom.UUCP (Jim Prescott) writes:
> All wyse60s are not created equal!  We have 2 wyse60s with the same
> model number (WY-60-01-01) that have different roms.
> [...]
> I don't know if both are being made and sold for different prices or
> if there are just some old ones about.  If you want or need the vt100
> emulation make sure the wy60 you get has it (or find out if you can
> get an upgrade from wyse).

	They are simply different revisions of the ROMs. The newer
Wyse 60's have vt100 mode. But I have the impression that there are
a fair number of the older Wyse 60's, both in end-user hands and sitting
in distributor's warehouses. But I do think that even the original ads
for the Wyse 60 stated they were ANSI terminals. I know that our first
shipment had some of the older ROMs, and we held out for the distributor
to upgrade them.

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric