[comp.terminals] vt100 emulation for Kaypro 4

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (08/19/87)

I am posting this for a friend who has a 1984 Kaypro 4.  He needs to
use the Uniplex package on Unix, and needs VT100 emulation in a
comm package.  VT52 will not work with the version of Uniplex we
are running here.  Any pointers would be appreciated, including
PD and/or commercial software.  He is running Mdm795 now.
--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science

abp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (08/21/87)

In article <303@auvax.UUCP> you write:

>I am posting this for a friend who has a 1984 Kaypro 4.  He needs to
>use the Uniplex package on Unix, and needs VT100 emulation in a
>comm package.  VT52 will not work with the version of Uniplex we
>are running here.  Any pointers would be appreciated, including
>PD and/or commercial software.  He is running Mdm795 now.
>--
>
>Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
>Computer Science
>Athabasca University   ...{ubc-vision, ihnp4}!alberta!auvax!louis

As far as I know, there is no VT100 emulator for the CP/M Kaypro.  I do have a
set of termcaps for the Kaypro that implement its built-in video functions, if this will help.  I also have a public domain terminal program called INTTERM.
Its interrupt driven, so it will not drop characters like the CP/M Kermit will.
Used with the my termcaps, it gives you a nifty terminal out of the old great
gray lunchbox.  (Sysline, line insert & delete, inverse half-intensity video,
etc.)  Let me know if any of this might help, and I'll see if I can post them.

				Jeff Wieland
				abp@j.cc.purdue.edu

mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) (08/23/87)

Jeffrey J Wieland writes:

>As far as I know, there is no VT100 emulator for the CP/M Kaypro.

SUch a thing does in fact exist, since I have a copy of it somewhere.  It
does work after a fashion; I can't really evaluate it fully because I almost
never use it.  But it is strictly a terminal emulator; no facilities for
file transfer.

C. Wingate

neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP (Paul Neubauer) (08/23/87)

There is a VT100 emulator for the Kaypro 4 (and other later-model
Kaypro's).  I have not used it, so I cannot vouch for it at all.  One
obvious problem that I have no idea about is that the Kaypro keyboard has
nothing available to correspond to the PF1-PF4 keys of the VT100.  This may
or may not affect what you need it for.  It is strictly a terminal emulator,
with no file transfer capabilities, though you may be able to use a program
like IOCAP to capture what appears on your screen (but I cannot guarantee
anything like that).  It is also supposed to have a maximum speed of 1200
bps, which also may or may not affect you.  I am pretty sure that Steve
Sanders' Tampa Bay KUG (which I think is now called something else, sorry)
would have it.

--
Paul Neubauer 	UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!neubauer