[comp.terminals] SUPER SERIAL CARD HELP

NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) (09/30/87)

Could someone please tell me what locations you tweak to set
the parity and data format.  I am using an Super Serial Card
in slot 2.  I want to be able to connect using  7E1.

   7 data bits
   1 stop bit
   even parity

      A friend who has a //c gave me a list of ctrl-I commands to
set the modem port, but my super serial card obviously doesn't
recognize them.

       take care,
                                     -Bri

Brian Dall        |                           |"It is dangerous to tell
PO Box 5112       |  NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET  | the people that laws are
NDSU Station      |                           | not just. . . ."
Fargo, ND  58105  |                           |  -Blaise Pascal

fiddler@concertina.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <330NU092254@NDSUVM1>, NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) writes:
> Could someone please tell me what locations you tweak to set
> the parity and data format.  I am using an Super Serial Card
> in slot 2.  I want to be able to connect using  7E1.
>
>    7 data bits
>    1 stop bit
>    even parity

Since you're using slot2, I assume you're using the SSC for communications:

Make sure the jumper block (the one with the triangle painted on it)
is inserted in its socket pointing to "modem".  Set switches SW1-5 and
-6 to "on".  (Now you're in communications mode.)

Set 7 data bits by switching SW2-2 "off".  Set one stop bit by
switching SW-2-1 to "off".  Set parity to even by setting SW2-3 to "off"
and SW2-4 to "off".

>       A friend who has a //c gave me a list of ctrl-I commands to
> set the modem port, but my super serial card obviously doesn't
> recognize them.

ctrl-I commands are intended for printer mode (they work for me
just fine).  What you probably want are communications mode commands
which use ctrl-A:

	^A1D	sets 7 data bits, one stop bit.

	^A3P	sets even parity

the ^A (ctrl-A) command string should be followed by a RETURN
character.  (If you want to send a ^A to the modem and out, just
send ^A^A with no RETURN.)

I used to write manuals in the Apple // division, and one of my
last projects was a rewrite of the Apple IIe Technical Reference
Manual.  I moved much of the SSC manual information into the //e
Reference manual (because I hate to have fifteen different books
spread out on my desk when I wanted to work on the machine.)

I think you can get the book now from any bookstore that carries
computer books, I believe that Addison-Wesley publishes it.  It
might save you some time in the future, as well as frustration.

	seh