[comp.terminals] 4.3 Support for ATT 630 MTG

muller@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Keith Muller) (10/18/87)

ATT started shipping the new 630's to non ATT sites in Sept. The sales people
might not know it, but a complete 4.3BSD version of the software can be
obtained from ATT Teletype. There will be two versions available. The
first one will will require NO kernel changes and will run on generic
4.3 machines (machines that have the 4.3 tty_pty.c that is). This will
be ready in November. The second version will have a kernel driver (there is no
date for the second one yet). I have no idea of prices etc, though I am sure
that source can be obtained.

	Keith Muller
	University Of California, San Diego
	muller@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/23/87)

In article <955@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> muller@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Keith Muller) writes:
>The first one will will require NO kernel changes and will run on generic
>4.3 machines (machines that have the 4.3 tty_pty.c that is). This will
>be ready in November. The second version will have a kernel driver (there is no
>date for the second one yet).

Pyramid Technology supports the 615, 620, and 630 now. Celerity has supported
the old 5620 for some time, so I would expect the new terminals to work just
fine on their systems as well. (You can use a VT-220 termcap for the 615 and
620, and the 5620 termcap on the 630. An AT&T 4410 termcap needs some hacking
before it'll work on a 615 or 620.)

And I believe BRL's user-mode DMD multiplexor for 4.2BSD should work OK, too.
(That puppy is free, isn't it Doug?)

<csg>

muller@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Keith Muller) (10/24/87)

In article <8798@pyramid.pyramid.com>, csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

> Pyramid Technology supports the 615, 620, and 630 now. Celerity has supported
> the old 5620 for some time, so I would expect the new terminals to work just

There is so much more to the 630 (and 5620) software than just layers. There
are compilers, etc that also need to work and they are completely different
between the two DMD terminals. What i was saying is that you can get a 4.3
version from ATT (tested on CCI, vax, celerity, and sun) and that you are
not resticted to machines that run system V software.

	Keith Muller
	University of California, San Diego

In article <8798@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>And I believe BRL's user-mode DMD multiplexor for 4.2BSD should work OK, too.
>(That puppy is free, isn't it Doug?)

It might -- the pty-based version has been delinted pretty thoroughly.
I don't have a working xt driver for Pyramids..