[comp.terminals] Terminals with meta keys

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (11/08/87)

So, all you dissatisfied HDS users out there, what other terminal have a
true meta key (besides HDS and Ann Arbor Ambassadors)?  I'm not talking
about an ESC key -- I mean a key that when you press simultaneously with
an alphabetic key, turns on the high bit of an 8-bit byte.  In some cases,
(e.g., for tcsh) it's even better if the meta key can fake being a "modifier"
key but actually causes the terminal to transmit ESC followed by the letter.
(The HDS meta key can do either).

A couple of the people who commented on HDS said that they replaced them
with GraphOn terminals or were thinking about it.  Do the GraphOns have
a meta key?

--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (11/09/87)

In article <18700@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>So, all you dissatisfied HDS users out there, what other terminal have a
>true meta key (besides HDS and Ann Arbor Ambassadors)?

This might be a bit expensive as terminals go, but Sun 3's have a true
meta-key. I was pleasantly suprised to see that the 'alt' key (I think
thats what it was labelled) turned on the meta (aka parity) bit of a
char. They also map Control-spacebar to send ^@ like any civilized
terminal.  (Unlike this cretinous Wyse-99 which tries to get you to
break your fingers by typing control-shift-2.)
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht	UUCP: mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang
				(or) mirror!mit-mgm!wolfgang